Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving As Assembly to Another File Name Issues

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Cadmanto
777 Views, 15 Replies

Saving As Assembly to Another File Name Issues

I am getting frustrated!!! 

My situation is this.  I took an existing assembly from one specidifc directory

and copied it to another location.  Then one part by one I use the replace command to swap out the

parts to map to the new location because when I went to iproperties it was still pathing

to the old location.  I change the new parts physical features (i.e. length, diameter).

I get done with it and all references are pointing to the new location.

I exit out of inventor and call up the new assembly and it has mate errors because the

parts are all of the old ones from the original location.  Why is it not remembering or retaining

the new parts and there locations?

I have done this twice now and wasted hours on this.

Even when I have gotten this screen I have selected "No" to the bottom (2nd) selection

which is the original location I do not want.

screen.JPG

What am I missing.

I really shouldn't have to nor do I really want to manually recreated these assemblies from scratch.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: Cadmanto

Something I just thought of.  Is this happening because the files are the same in both locations?

Even though they are physically different?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 3 of 16
cbenner

I see from your screen shot that you have Vault.  I recommend using Vault's "Copy Design".  It will copy your original design and any compnents you specify to a new location and new name... while leaving the original intact.  You can choose to reuse or copy components, and you can give them a new name and new path right there.  Do some research into it, and try it out on a few dummy assemblies to get the hang of it.  It works nicely.

Another option would be Design Assistant... but I prefer Copy Design.

Message 4 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Yes, we have vault, but it is not implemented yet.  I didn't realize that the screen shot represented something

associated with vault.  I totally agree with you and I would use that tool (copy design).  Just learned about it in training last week.  I am supposed to be going live in vault this week so this should not be an issue after that point.

Just trying to work through it in the mean time.

Is what I explained in my second response ring true?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 16
ampster402

Does the term "Project Files" ring a bell here?

Sounds like you are saving the files to another location, but that location apparently resides under the main folder/directory Inventor has been setup to search thru when it starts looking for files.  Or, what ever current Project File is setup, is telling Inventor to only look in the original location for your files, not the new location you copied them to.

Since you are not using Vault yet, you could create a temp Project File with a new folder/directory and pack-n-go your assy into that location.

Then switch to that Project File and start working.

Just a suggestion.

Message 6 of 16
cbenner

Yes, I think so.  If the files are named the same, it doesn't know which one you want.  Can't say why it picks one over the other though.  Even though you do not have your Vault live yet,... you should be able to use Design Assistant.  Go to your Start\All Programs\Autodesk\Autodesk Inventor(release)\Design Assistant.  This should allow you to copy or rename files within an assembly.  I don't use it much so I may not be much help with it... but it might help out until your Vault is up.

Message 7 of 16
Cadmanto

I think you are right in what you say.  I have looked at the Design Assistant and it looks

to be a bit clumbersome.  We are just days away from being live with the vault, so for now I renamed

all of the files that were giving me grief with a simple prefix and figured once we go live with vault

I will rename them in the vault.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 16
cwhetten

We use iLogic Copy Design when we are working outside of a Vault project.  Make sure you have no files open, then you will find the command on the Tools tab.  I find it's much simpler and easier to use than Design Assistant.

Message 10 of 16
cwhetten

Maybe so.  I'm not sure when it was introduced.

Message 11 of 16
mflayler2
in reply to: cwhetten

It was 2012 that it was introduced officially.  In 2011 it was part of the subscription bonus pack.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 12 of 16
Cadmanto

I don't see it either.  Where exactly is this command located?  I am in 2011 for the moment.

By the time I go to 2012 the vault will be active.  So at that point

this wont matter.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 16
mflayler2

If you are on subscription you have to download it from the subscription site.  After you have the bonus/advantage pack installed it is located on the Tools tab --> iLogic Panel when you are not inside of any file.

2-14-2012 10-03-29 PM.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 14 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: mflayler2

Message 15 of 16
mflayler2

It has some flaws, such as you cannot do any renamning except for prefix or suffix, no find/replace for the names like Vault.  It will however strip out iLogic rules if you don't want them in a design as well as take and copy linked documents (Vault 2012 does both of these things as well).

Message 16 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: mflayler2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report