Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Error

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
iamerm
3564 Views, 13 Replies

Save Error

I keep getting the following error when I'm trying to save a certain assembly (in IV2009):

"Some of the modified dependent documents can only be saved in the context of another document that is not being saved. These dependents will be excluded from the save."

Then, when the Save dialog box comes up, one of the ipt files says this under the Status heading:

"Invalid context (must be saved with another file)"

The file is a skeleton file for an assembly created with frame generator. If I directly open the skeleton file & try to save it, I get this error message:

"Skeleton0001.ipt can only be saved in the context of another document that is not currently in memory. Unless you cancel and then open and save that other document, your modifications will be lost."

Sadly, Inventor will not toell me which other document it's apparently looking for. Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Edited by: iamerm on Mar 23, 2009 3:14 PM
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
iamerm
in reply to: iamerm

Hello again. I'm running into this exact same problem again today. Just curious if anyone else has seen this. Thanks.

Here's some additional info.: When I open the skeleton file (for a frame generator assembly) that has this issue & then try to save it directly, I get the following error:

"Skeleton01771.ipt can only be saved in the context of another document that is not currently in memory. Unless you cancel and then open and save that other document, your modifications will be lost."

So, I have two major problems:

1. I have no idea what causes this issue, but it's a serious one because I can't save this file
2. I have no idea what the other document is that Inventor is looking for because it doesn't tell me!!! Edited by: iamerm on Feb 1, 2010 1:36 PM
Message 3 of 14
iamerm

I'm still running into this error nearly 4 years later.  I've also found that I'm not the only one (for example:  Identifying Assembly-Context-Required saves )

I think the error is related to performing copy designs on frame generator assemblies.

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask again: anyone find any success in overcoming this?

Message 4 of 14

I'll take a shot at this though I have seen issues like this before. it's always been with Skeletal files and not with Frame Generator models (don't use Frame Gen too often actually).

It seems like you're caught in a type of update/synch loop (I'll assume you're also using Vault).

The quickest fix we've done if it's possible, is to open/checkout the top level assembly file AND all its subcomponents.

Yes, this could be a massive assembly and undertaking, but what doing this does is it forces all files to be updated/synched thus eliminating the error.

Just not sure if this is the same issue you are seeing but it always worked for us. i just hope, for your sake it's not a large assembly.

Note: you might also run into issues with Released files if you are using a PLM like Vault Workgroups, etc.

If so, you'll need some help from your CAD Admin who'll have the permissions to jump threw the hoops to clear that up (which is what I had to do for users when they ran across this error)

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 5 of 14
Cadmanto

I have run into this when I created one frame.

I do remember when the save dialog window came up I selected "No to All" and then just selected the skeleton or frame assembly file I was working on to change to "Yes" and that seemed to work.

But I have to ask.  How many skeleton files do you have burried into this one frame assembly?

Maybe there is a break fown of communication between these sjeletons because there are too many or too many layers deep?  Just a thought.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 14

Scott,

Very good points about the skeletal files. I've seen people just go crazy when making skeletal models and basically include every parts profile, etc. It got to the point it was unusable. Just like with constraints, you can paint yourself into a very small corner.

I've seen some nightmares with using skeletal models in an enviroment of numerous users on a project, thus I tend to stay away from them depending on the need and project.

Again, just like constraints, they can be your greatest ally or your greatest foe.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 7 of 14

Thanks for the replies - your input is very much appreciated.

This is actually, in my opinion, a very simple assembly.  I've attached the example.  The offending file is Skeleton4234.ipt

What's really odd to me is that the assembly responds when the base sketch is edited.  So the skeleton file is evidently updating, even though the error message would indicate it's associated with another document.

Message 8 of 14
cbenner

Frame Generator skeletons, as well as Tube & Pipe runs, are both types of files that can only be saved from within the Parent assembly in which they were created.  I think I'm reading this thread right, igonore me if I'm not. 

When you start a new frame from within an assembly file (using FG), it creates a new Skeleton file, and a new Frame file.  These 2 files cannot be opened individually, modified and then saved.  They need to be modified from within the full assembly in which they were created.  And can only be saved from the top level there.  I don't know exactly why, or what references and dependencies are created that make this true... but it be true.  Same is true with Tube & Pipe, a Run created in an assembly cannot be opened on it's own and modified, it must be modified from within, and saved from the parent assembly.

So... again, I hope I read the question right and didn't just waste your time with a bunch of nonsence.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
wimann
in reply to: cbenner

This problem still exists! I have a co-worker who is experiencing this issue right this very moment.

I believe the assembly that he is working in is the top level for that skeleton. However it will not save and will not let him check the model in until a full save is completed. 

The last post on this thread was in 2013 it seems. Have there been any breakthroughs?

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 10 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: wimann

Hi! In normal condition, the error is trigged only when you are trying to save a document in a state that the document is also opened within an assembly or a drawing and there are unsaved changes there. The error tries to prevent "stepping toes" behavior.

If you have a repeatable example, please post it here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
Ampcontrol.Mackay

Manage -> Purge -> Check "Purge Styles from Child Documents" = fixes this.  Or, at least, it corrected the error in my  example.  Your mileage may vary.

For context, the error in my example occurred when I generated a "mirrored" copy of a frame generator assembly.  Essentially take a rough shortcut.

Message 12 of 14
eduardo.godinez2

I opened the assembly containing the skeleton file and went to Manage/Rebuild All and then saved it and it worked!

Message 13 of 14
iamerm
in reply to: eduardo.godinez2

@Ampcontrol.Mackay, @eduardo.godinez2 , & others,

Thanks for your feedback & for trying to help all these years later!

Message 14 of 14
a.bennett

Hi All,

I have found a work around to remove the error message "Some of the modified dependent documents can only be saved in the context of another document that is not being saved. These dependents will be excluded from the save."

abennett_0-1647382138254.png

1. Looking down the save dialogue box locate the file ('s) Invalid context (must be saved with another file)

2. Copy design this file and rename the file.

3. Delete from your local drive the original invalid file

4. Reopen the the top level assembly in inventor

5. Skip all on the resole file box and resolve the file to the newly copied, renamed file.

6. Update the model and resave. The error message- "Some of the modified dependent documents can only be saved in the context of another document that is not being saved. These dependents will be excluded from the save." will no longer be displayed.

Hope this is helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report