Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Copy As Template bug

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
patrjck
426 Views, 5 Replies

Save Copy As Template bug

I like the idea of the new Save Copy As Template option in Inventor 2012.  The only problem is that (surprise!) when you actually use it it doesn't work right.  When you go to use the template you just saved, it will ask you for an .ipt file to use, which then does absolutely nothing.  The obvious workaround is to delete all views from the drawing first, then use the Save Copy As Template function.  But speaking for all engineers who expect software to do its job without workarounds, someone should fix it so that it doesn't ask you for a file, either by automatically purging all views when saving the template, or by not looking for parts when launching the template.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: patrjck

Hey,

I am not sure I get the problem. Template idw should be without views of any part.

You should have in the template the definition title block and predefined styles, size of sheet and company logo...

Maybe you can attach some pictures of the problem or describe your workflow better.

Regards,

Dan

Message 3 of 6
patrjck
in reply to: Dan_Margulius

Hi Dan,

I'm saying if I have a drawing with various views in it and click Save Copy As Template, Inventor should automatically delete the views in the template file. 

If I Save Copy As Template without having deleted all the views, a little dialog box pops up that says

Select Component ... Document Name ... a drop down selection box / file browse button ... OK ... cancel.

when I first wrote this post I selected a random file and nothing happened, I just got the blank drawing one would expect.  So why bring up the dialog box was my question?

However, I've since done this again and it will actually generate views of the part you select, matching the views/projections in the original template generating file.  So the first time it must have just silently crashed in the background.  Now it makes some sense why the box would pop up, but it still would be best to just delete all views.

Message 4 of 6
SBix26

Creating a template with views already in place is exactly what the Save Copy as Template is for.  If it automatically deleted all views, how would anyone create one with pre-configured views?

To create a clean drawing template without views, I recommend taking a copy of one of the installed template files and modify it as you wish.  This may include copying borders, title blocks, etc. from existing templates or other files.  I do this every year when we receive a new version of Inventor, to assure that I'm not migrating junk from previous versions and to have to examine all settings to see if they still apply or if there are new ones.

Message 5 of 6
patrjck
in reply to: SBix26

OK, I can see the logic now.  When it silently crashed (it must have been overwhelmed by some section view or other advanced function) it made the popup look like a bug, but now it makes sense, even though it's hard for me to imagine a preconfigured view saving time over redrawing the way you want it.

Message 6 of 6
SBix26

I agree.  I think perhaps in some companies they design many very similar parts, so special templates are set up to make it easier.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report