Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating part of a 3D .ipt part / Or alternative method

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tom.rutson
601 Views, 3 Replies

Rotating part of a 3D .ipt part / Or alternative method

As you're about to probably find out, I'm new to Inventor as a tool, so I'm getting to grips with it.

I'm creating a supercharger fan, and I need to have the fan blades at an angle. Currenly, they're extruded from the base at 90 degrees, I would want them at about 60. (in relation to the base plate, that is.) I had assumed that, like some other 3D programs I've used, I could simply rotate the base, causing the blades to all lean to one side, though as Inventor doesn't actually work with polygons (Vector, right?) I know I can't do this.

So, long story short, is there a way I can get the fan blades to be at a 60 degree angle without starting the whole thing again? I've added the file, please excuse the untidyness of the actions applied to it. Like I said; I'm new.

If there's a resource I can use to answer these kinds of questions in the future, lemme know.

Thanks;

Tom Rutson

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rdyson
in reply to: tom.rutson

I don't fully understand your design intent, but see if this gives you any ideas.

When JD comes along, he's going to tell you, you'r doing way too much work.

He may also complain about your sketch1 needing ~275 dim's to be fully constrained.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 4
kwilson_design

Tom,

I'm certainly not in the turbine industry, but first thing I would do, especially if you're new to Inventor is to simply your sketches and features. Modeling like that would be asking for serious trouble, intense heart burn and possibly even suicide if prolonged. I'm a firm believer of the K.I.S.S. principle.

Extrude your "base".

Create a new seperate sketch for your blade "profile".

Further define gemoetry of blade profiles with additional features (lofts, chamfers, fillets, etc).

Pattern those combined features of the blade profile however many times need be.

Attached is a VERY crude example of modeling that way. Keep in mind the only thing I'm trying to show if a much cleaner means of modeling.

That way when you do need to edit an angle of a single dimension, that you don't have to do that a million times on your  overly busy single sketch. I also do not use pattern in sketch mode as it's less forgiving than patterning Features. YMMV.

I would take a look into the Inventor Essential tutorials, learn what design intent is and get some proper training with your reseller team.

Best of Luck!

EDIT - Just saw the post above mine. 🙂

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 4 of 4
JDMather

I recommend you put this part aside for a while (you will have to do it over - right from the beginning).

Go through this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

then

Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skill Builders

then

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html

You will probably need to get into some surface modeling

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

Pattern features - not sketch entities (in most cases).

Looks like some thickened trimmed surfaces should produce a nice part (and much easier).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums