Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating Views in IDW

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
mgilman
359 Views, 15 Replies

Rotating Views in IDW

I have a part (a round table) I have created a top view of this table. The table has a bunch of bolt holes in it. I want to rotate the table to orientate the bolt holes in a certian location. When I rotate the view using angle, it does not rotate about the center of the table. Am I missing something with this operation Thanx, Mikeg
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mgilman
in reply to: mgilman

I forgot to mention, this is an assembly
Message 3 of 16
mgilman

And the table was created on the origin center point. Does the assembly need to be moved to the origin point in the assy file its self?
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Can you place a workplane on you're assembly, use
the look at tool while in the assembly to get the correct view, and then when in
the idw, use the use current view option?

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
And
the table was created on the origin center point. Does the assembly need to be
moved to the origin point in the assy file its self?
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Not sure I understand why it would matter. The view should still show the whole table.
Maybe I am misunderstanding... we are talking about rotating a IDW view using the Base
View dialog and "Change View Orientation" toolbutton right?

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"mgilman" wrote in message
news:f162200.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I have a part (a round table) I have created a top view of this table. The table has a
bunch of bolt holes in it. I want to rotate the table to orientate the bolt holes in a
certian location. When I rotate the view using angle, it does not rotate about the center
of the table. Am I missing something with this operation Thanx, Mikeg
Message 6 of 16
mgilman

I can, but I'm really courious as to where the center of the rotation is!!!
Message 7 of 16
mgilman

No, I will try that. I am RMB on the view and using the rotate command from there. I am Reverse engineering an existing table and need to varify that they are the same.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

open the table top ipt and make the origin planes
visible.  Then use one of the planes to "look at", or place an angled plane
off of one of them to the angle you wish.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
can, but I'm really courious as to where the center of the rotation
is!!!
Message 9 of 16
mgilman

ok, maybe I'm not making it clear, I know how to fudge and get the view orientation I want. The question I have is where is the orientation coming from when I right click on a view and select rotate...in the rotate dialog box, I select angle. Whare is this orientation coming from, and why is it not coming from the orientation of the model or assembly?
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

I think it's center of view, not origin point. There really isn't an origin
point once you bring the view into an idw.

--
Dave Jacquemotte
Automation Designer
Message 11 of 16
mgilman

I guess that makes sence. But if you have a round part in a view, it would seem the center of the view would be the center of the part.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Just so we are clear, could you do a couple of screen captures (to jpeg) and put
them in the iCF?

--
Dave Jacquemotte
Automation Designer
Message 13 of 16
ArtC

I think it is the center of the view. Not the center of anything in the view. I rotated a view and it looked as if the center of the view did not move. I also rescaled the view and the center looked as if it did not move.
Message 14 of 16
mgilman

I have posted a screen shot in ICF in word format. Haven't figured out how to past images into this little box 🙂 Thanx, MikeG
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

That's what I thought. You say "But if you have a round part in a view, it would
seem the center of the view would be the center of the part." This is true in
just a round part only because the center of the round would be the center of
the view. However, in your case, how would IV know what to center around? What
if you had more than 1 round part? Plus, people would start complaining if the
views started moving just because you are rotating. The way it is, it keep it
nice and simple: Just rotate around the center of the view.

--
Dave Jacquemotte
Automation Designer
Message 16 of 16
mgilman

ok, I conceed. I guess I do have one part that is sticking out further than all the others. Thanx for all the input. I feel better now 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums