Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate; trace geom. of one part on plane; cant delete points; add 2 extrusions.

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
mailswamp
1466 Views, 24 Replies

Rotate; trace geom. of one part on plane; cant delete points; add 2 extrusions.

Hello.

I have been playing with Autodesk Inventor for a while and I have got questions about it:

I have an assembly (human hand model) and I have to draw parts to fit around it (gaming controller).

1. How do I rotate an  extruded object? I see an option that would let me move it around freely, but nothing to let me rotate it against other geometries in the part I am working on.
  2. I have planes drawn in my new component. When I try to select parts of the human hand assembly to trace geometry onto my sketches of future controls around the curvature of the hand, sometimes Inventor wont let me trace the 3d objects. Simetimes it will. Why?
  3. Why cant I delete points that I add, but I can delete planes that I add?
  4. Why wouldn't Inventor let me extrude a sketch in such way that it adds with another extruded geometry, but only allows me to cut through other geometry with my new extrusion?(sounds like I cant expalin to the computer that I am working on a specific region at a specific time)

Technically the my question is: How do I set up my work environment if I want to draw my new parts (controls) around an existing (human hand) model that has an organic shape?

Do I have to work inside a component environment (vs a part environment)?

This is where I got the hand model: http://grabcad.com/library/human-left-hand

No center lines to tell me where finger symmetry lines are. Is there a good way to find those.

LINKS to good youtube videos explaining how to do things are welcome

Maybe I dont know the terminology to look for the right videos.

Thank you.

Tags (2)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
mrattray
in reply to: mailswamp

@mailswamp wrote:

Our college teaches only Autocad and not this semester.

I suggest you transfer. Nobody has any business teaching AutoCAD anymore. Unless it's just giving you a taste of it sometime towards the end of the program just so you know how it used to be, sort of like board drafting. Learning AutoCAD as a primary CAD package is, to quote another user of this forum, "about as useful as being fluent in sanskrit". If they think that it's appropriate to teach AutoCAD then I shudder to think what other outdated crap they might be throwing at you.

Note that I'm not picking on it just because it's a community college, I went to one myself. The difference is mine taught us board drafting, then AutoCAD (briefly), then Inventor, and then CATIA v5.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 22 of 25
mailswamp

I am sorry.

I may have confused Inventor Fusion and Inventor Pro. They apparently are not interchangeable, besides that one is free  and the other one is not.

Message 23 of 25
JDMather

@mailswamp wrote:

I am sorry.

I may have confused Inventor Fusion and Inventor Pro. They apparently are not interchangeable, besides that one is free  and the other one is not.

Both are free to students http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 24 of 25
SBix26

Just a little more clarification-- there are two flavors of Inventor Fusion (which, as you point out, is not at all the same as Inventor): one version is packaged with Inventor, and the other is available on Labs as a technology preview (for free).  The latter is more like a beta version-- there's new stuff in there, new tools or interfaces that are being tested, may or may not find their way into the standard version that you get with Inventor.  At least that's what I remember from a class at AU a year or two ago.

Message 25 of 25
JDMather
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

....The latter is more like a beta version-- there's new stuff in there, ...

And there is apparently also LESS stuff in there.  I saw a thread in the Fusion forum that indicated the current TP no longer has a Spline command where 2012 and 2013 RTM does.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Fusion/can-I-use-inventor-fusion-to-create-an-aircraft-model/...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report