Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ribs on curved surface/ trimming to complex surface

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
sjrand96
3780 Views, 13 Replies

Ribs on curved surface/ trimming to complex surface

Hello Everyone,

I'm designing a press for a skateboard similar to: Rib Press

I have the board modeled: (see attached)

Now what i want to do is generate those ribs as seen in the picture.

I tried creating a block that intersected with the board and tried to split the rib at the surface, but to no avail. I think the issue has something to do with the curve of the board in two directions, but i can't seem to get it right. Any assistance would be much appreciated! Thanks! 

if you are having trouble visuallizing what i'm asking about, look at this. I want to be able to figure out the exact shape of those center ribs to print and eventually cut out of wood. Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
sam_m
in reply to: sjrand96

i can't open the file as it's 2013 (and I'm on 2012) - it helps to include your version anytime you post a file.

There are a few ways to do this and I had a quick mess about, which probably isn't the most obvious, but seemed to work.  See the attached parts:

board is obviously the board

rib is a part containing a number of solid-bodies for each rib.  I created 1 rib and patterened it to give top and bottom ribs along the board at even spacing.  I then used the "derive" function to bring in the board file as a new solid body and moved it into place with move-body.  By using "combine" as a boolean operation to cut the board (using it as the toolbody) for each rib-member I got the cut shape into each rib.  All that's needed now is to use "make components" to spawn a separate ipt for each rib to create a drawing of each.  If that makes sense.

You could do this all in 1 part but I thought it probably made sense having a separate board part to all the ribs as I'm guessing you want a clean/separate board.ipt to go into an assembly.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 14
JDMather

In addition to the solution that was posted -

I noticed that your Sketch1 was not constrained or making use of obvious symmetry about the origin.

You might read this paper

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
swhite

Have you tried using the copy object command to convet the face into a surface which will allow you to split usuing a complex surface?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: swhite

@SWhite wrote:

Have you tried using the copy object command to convet the face into a surface which will allow you to split usuing a complex surface?

The Derived Component method works well.
If I were to do something similar to "Copy Object, I would do Thicken/Offset as surface zero distance as that technique is associative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
sam_m

I originally thought of suggesting either splitting or extruding to surfaces but, thinking about it, it:

1) involves deriving the surfaces into a rib part(s) and if you're doing that then you might as well derive the solid board part and use that as a boolean (as my example)

2) split with a surface needs the surface completely intersecting the part - so means additional extend-face commands to ensure the board's top/bottom face clears the rib parts (or you need the board's side-wall surfaces too, and if you're doing that then might as well use the solid).

3) extrude-to could be an option but using the extended-face option in the extrude dialog - not necessarily obvious to someone new to surfaces, I guess...

so, both are a possibly a little more confusing/work than just deriving the board as a solid 😉

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 7 of 14
sjrand96
in reply to: sam_m

thanks so much for the multiple pieces of excellent advice| 

Message 8 of 14
swhite
in reply to: JDMather

Copy object is associative as well if you uncheck the delete original and check the associative box.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 9 of 14
JDMather

Hmmm, I missed the Asssociative toggle, but I just tried on a cylindrical face and it is unavailable.

Must be usable in some case.

Can you post a example file with associative?

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
swhite

Some associatives only work with crtain types of faces. The composite may not be able to be set as associative on some shapes while the surface command may allow you to set it as associative. Plus for some reason before 2010 version you could set almost all of them as associative. Used that frequently to model ribs to complex shapes. Since 2011 they have made such more difficult to keep associative. But one can always redefine although its a pain to have to remember to do that when the base object is changed.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 11 of 14
JDMather

Can you attach an example that is associative.

I have always used the Thicken/Offset surface zero.

Checking to see of there is any reason to change.

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
swhite

Well, it appears they have removed any ability to make them associative. It used to be a simple matter why I brought it up. It appears they have diasabled that feature in at least the 2011 version. In 2010 it was a simple and easy and worked well. If this is the case an extrusion of the face as you said may be the best idea.

This is too bad as it was a handy and quick feature in 2010. One could set it as associative and forget it without having extra extrusions even if only tenths of a thousand thick. They could at least have removed the check box if they are no longer going to make it an option.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 13 of 14
JDMather

@SWhite wrote:

If this is the case an extrusion of the face as you said may be the best idea.

I don't think I ever said "extrusion of the face" and don't know how that would be done.

I think the only time the Associative is avialable is when editing a part within the context of an assembly and Copy Object from another part into the current part.

I have no idea why it isn't possible within a single part file.  Seems to me that would be a short way of Thicken/Offset as zero.

EESignature

Message 14 of 14

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the only time the Associative is avialable is when editing a part within the context of an assembly and Copy Object from another part into the current part.

Hi JDMather,

I think your're spot on. Also in context of an assembly you're only able to make it associative if using the surface or composite option, the solid option will not be associative.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report