Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing a sketch for break out views in drawing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
FireBallFab
425 Views, 4 Replies

Reusing a sketch for break out views in drawing

I use the same sketch to create a break out view in one type of drawing. I may be blind, but I can't seem to find a way to save that sketch and reuse it when I want to create a break out view. Can anyone help me find my way?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: FireBallFab

Do you mean you want to reuse the sketch on a different drawing?  These sketches are tied to the specific view, not the part or assembly shown, so they cannot be re-used on a different drawing.  Now, you may be able to edit the sketch and copy the geometry to the clipboard.  Then go to your new drawing, create a new sketch in that view and paste the geometry.... not sure but worth a shot.

Message 3 of 5
FireBallFab
in reply to: cbenner

Yes, I want to reuse the same sketch in a different drawing. I use the same dang sketch shape every time!

I was able to copy/paste a sketch from one drawing into another and use that to create the break out view.

I was hoping to be able to insert a part or something similar - like a sketch block or something.

Is it possible to do something like this with iLogic: Create a sketch in a drawing view, then create a breakout with that sketch?

Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: FireBallFab

I'm the wrong guy to ask about ilogic.  😄  I am trying to learn some, but I'm not there yet.

However, you could create an Autocad file of your sketch geometry, and save it out somewhere inside your Inventor Project path.  Inside an Inventor sketch you can insert Autocad files to become a part of your sketch.  This can then be used as your cut out profile.  Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it should get the job done.

Message 5 of 5
FireBallFab
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks Cbenner, I'm not the iLogic guy either! I'll give that a try, it might not be any faster than just creating it every time, though!?

I'll post this in the customization forum and see what they have to say.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report