Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse a surface

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
179 Views, 9 Replies

Reuse a surface

IV9 I'm having a figuring out how (if possible) to extract a surface from a part and reuse it in another part. Specifically, I'm trying to use a conic surface from a part to create a label sheet that conforms to that cone. I can't figure a way to copy the surface to a new part or to somehow promote it to a new part. Can I and if so any guidance how? Ray
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to edit the part you want to add the surface to while in the assembly. Select Promote and it will let you select the surface you want to copy. Joe Bartels "Ray Dyson" wrote in message news:41c1b4ba$1_1@newsprd01... > IV9 > I'm having a figuring out how (if possible) to extract a surface from a part > and reuse it in another part. Specifically, I'm trying to use a conic > surface from a part to create a label sheet that conforms to that cone. I > can't figure a way to copy the surface to a new part or to somehow promote > it to a new part. > Can I and if so any guidance how? > Ray > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Put both parts into an assembly and constrain them so the particular surface is in the exact position you'd like it in the new part. Open the new part and use the "promote" tool to bring the new surface in. Patrick
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

( Are Promoted surfaces associative? ) Believe you can copy (zero Offset) the surface (in the parent part file) then Derive only the copied surface if you want a parametric copy.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Good call! I forgot you can do that now. Patrick
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

> ( Are Promoted surfaces associative? ) I think one of my top wish-list items. -- Rui "Jeff Howard" wrote in message news:41c1c122$1_1@newsprd01... > ( Are Promoted surfaces associative? ) > > Believe you can copy (zero Offset) the surface (in the parent part file) > then Derive only the copied surface if you want a parametric copy. >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys, after a few abortive starts, I was able to figure out the workflow to promote the surfaces per Patrick's suggestion. I haven't figured out the derived method per Jeff's suggestion yet. When I derive just surfaces, I get the base part in the browser but nothing shows in the graphics window. At least I can proceed for a while now. I'll start complaining about associativity after I get this part finished. Ray "Patrick Berry" wrote in message news:41c1c1b5$1_1@newsprd01... > Good call! I forgot you can do that now. > > Patrick > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Most likely you need to make your original surface visible. You should then see that surface under the surfaces group in the derived part/asssembly dialog. "Ray Dyson" wrote in message news:41c1cf04$1_1@newsprd01... . I haven't > figured out the derived method per Jeff's suggestion yet. When I derive just > surfaces, I get the base part in the browser but nothing shows in the > graphics window.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hmmmmm, made a quick test case and it worked as described. Not sure why it wasn't working before, the surfaces were visible Udaya. Don't think I did anything differently, but must have. Now that I know how, if it doesn't work in the future I'll know to complain. Ray "Udaya Gunasena (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:41c1d5f4$1_1@newsprd01... > Most likely you need to make your original surface visible. You should then > see that surface under the surfaces group in the derived part/asssembly > dialog. > > "Ray Dyson" wrote in message > news:41c1cf04$1_1@newsprd01... > . I haven't > > figured out the derived method per Jeff's suggestion yet. When I derive > just > > surfaces, I get the base part in the browser but nothing shows in the > > graphics window. > >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Glad to hear that it works now. As you know this approach will be associative. "Ray Dyson" wrote in message news:41c1dab7_2@newsprd01... > Hmmmmm, made a quick test case and it worked as described. Not sure why it > wasn't working before, the surfaces were visible Udaya. Don't think I did > anything differently, but must have. Now that I know how, if it doesn't work > in the future I'll know to complain. > Ray > > > "Udaya Gunasena (Autodesk)" wrote in message > news:41c1d5f4$1_1@newsprd01... > > Most likely you need to make your original surface visible. You should > then > > see that surface under the surfaces group in the derived part/asssembly > > dialog. > > > > "Ray Dyson" wrote in message > > news:41c1cf04$1_1@newsprd01... > > . I haven't > > > figured out the derived method per Jeff's suggestion yet. When I derive > > just > > > surfaces, I get the base part in the browser but nothing shows in the > > > graphics window. > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report