Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve Assembly Feature Dimensions?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Kevin_Raymond
944 Views, 8 Replies

Retrieve Assembly Feature Dimensions?

I have tried to research this problem to no avail.

I am trying to retrieve dimensions from an assembly. The features that I want were created in the assembly itself, not on the original parts in the assembly. I can manually dimension some of the features, but there are others that I need to retrieve. When I retrieve dimensions from the assembly, I am only given the original dimensions for the parts.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi! I must not have followed the workflow correctly. Somehow I am not seeing the behavior you are describing here. I am able to retrieve dimensions associated with assembly features.

In the Retreive Dimensions dialog, did you choose "Select Features" option in "Select Source"? Or it is set to "Select Parts" by default?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9

I may not have explained my problem well.

I have an assembly of two parts. As an example, if I were to create a 2D sketch in the assembly and then make a revolved cut, I cannot retrieve those dimensions. The only dimensions that I  can retrieve are the dimensions of the parts as they were when I first placed them in the assembly. I have tried the "Select Features" option, but it is not giving me different results.

Message 4 of 9

Hi! Do you mind posting the simple dataset you are having trouble retreiving dimensions from? I can take a quick look and see where the exact problem is.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9

I have attached some sample files.

In the example, I assembled parts A and B to create Assembly C. In the assembly, I went to the "Model" tab and created a 2D sketch. I then revolved that sketch to make a revolved cut. I placed the assembly into Drawing D, which shows the modified assembly. However, retrieving dimensions does not allow me to retrieve the dimensions from that revolved cut.

I can't seem to add more than three files, so I will attach the drawing in my next post.

Message 6 of 9

Attached is the drawing.

Message 7 of 9

Hi! Thank you for providing the files! Indeed, Retrieve Dimensions on assembly features does not seem to work in the same way as on part features. I am forwarding this issue to development for review.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9

We were able to retrieve some assembly feature dimensions (haven't tried it on anything other than a pattern of hole features), by changing the parameter settings.  In the assembly model open the Parameters dialog box and place a check mark in the "Export" check box for every dimension that you might want to retrieve.  Couldn't get it to work for constraint offset dimensions, but let us know if this process works for your assembly features.  Have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 9 of 9
cormac
in reply to: Kevin_Raymond

I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution? Cheers Cormac

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report