Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting first Sketch to Sketch1 in Template

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
JCrilly
1907 Views, 15 Replies

Resetting first Sketch to Sketch1 in Template

I made a few changes to our Standard template. To test out the changes I made sketches, faces, flanges etc.

Unfortunately, when we create a new part, the first sketch starts at Sketch17, the first face is Face11, the first flange is Flange4, etc. Also looking at my part parameters, I start at d53. (See attached picture)

Is there a way to reset these counts back to 1?

*I know I can start a fresh template using the CTRL+SHIFT + new part, but this erases all changes to the template I have made.*

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: JCrilly

Try taking this template and doing a copy save as template.  Then create these test sketches using this newly copied template.  These items should reset themselves.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 16
JCrilly
in reply to: Cadmanto

I should have mentioned that in my post.

Doing a 'Save Copy as Template', and using that new template to create a sketch makes no difference.

I still start at Sketch17.

Message 4 of 16
Cadmanto

What version are you running?  This has come up a few times on this forum.  I haven't seen a thread that has a slam dunk solution.  This is a weird occurrence and usually starting new resets everything.

I also noticed that in your image you are creating a sheet metal part.  Does your template start with sheet metal functionality or do you start with a very bare bones template.  Similar to what you get out of the box.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 16
JCrilly

I am running Inventor 2013, 64-bit, with SP2 installed.
We work primarily with Sheet Metal, so I've converted the new part Standard template to open already converted to Sheet Metal.

I've added the Sheet Metal materials, tweaked visual and style options, units etc in the template.

I have also seen a few people looking for an answer to this issue, but have not seen an answer anywhere. Thanks for the interest.
Message 6 of 16
Cadmanto

I am going to go out on a limb and say, because you start this template out as a sheet metal (which is fine) it is locking in the sketch numbers in at what they were last saved as.  Now, if you have done this procedure before and this is the first time this has happened to you, then that just blows a hole in my theory.  Smiley Sad

This is just a guess on my part.  Someone else can chime in and either confirm what I am saying or tell me I am completely all wet. Smiley Tongue

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 16
mrattray

I just did some testing in 2013 and found that Save Copy as Template does not reset anything regardless of template type (sheet metal or standard).
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: mrattray

Mike,

Still only being on 2012 are you saying that this might be an issue that needs to be addressed by Autodesk?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 16
mrattray

Can you confirm that the counts all reset themselves when you use Save Copy as Template in 2012? If so, then yes this is a regression and we should probably let AutoDesk know.
I have 2014 loaded for testing purposes. I'll test it there in a few minutes.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 16
Cadmanto

Mike,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I left early yesterday and didn't have time until now to check this out.

Here is what I discovered.  With our default templates, if I start a brand new part it starts out with sketch3 and extrusion1 everytime.  I did as you suggested and opened up our part template and did a saves as copy template and when I used that part template, I got the same results.  Sketch3 with extrusion1.

So I guess the conclusion is in 2012 these do reset themselves.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 16
cmcconnell

This has been an issue sine r4 when I started on Inventor. I have just gotten used to all my parts starting at sketch 7. It has been talked about a fair bit over the years, and like you say, there isn't a solution, other than creating a template from scratch.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 12 of 16
mrattray

@Cadmanto wrote:
...when I used that part template, I got the same results.  Sketch3 with extrusion1.

So I guess the conclusion is in 2012 these do reset themselves.

I think you mean "these do not reset themselves"?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 16
Cadmanto

I see your point.  I said what I said because it was always starting with sketch3 and extrusion1.  Not sure why it starts with sketch3.

I have posted an idea to address this discrepancy.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Feature-sketch-Numbers-Reset-Ability/idi-p/437834...

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 14 of 16
JCrilly

Thanks for looking into this Scott & Mike.

Hopefully this is something that can be resolved down the line at some point.

~Jonathan

Message 15 of 16
Cadmanto

Jonathan,

No problem.  Sorry there is not a better answer for you.

Feel free to go to the idea link I provided in my last posting and cast your kudo vote for this.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 16
SteveMDennis

I just asked for some comments on the idea station thread. Please go there to comment.

We are now gravitating towards idea station for new idea discussions.  We are actively monitoring it for future releases.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report