Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repositioned sketch dimensions causing very very zoomed-out views

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tvernonbaker
667 Views, 10 Replies

Repositioned sketch dimensions causing very very zoomed-out views

It seems that some 2D sketch dimensions are being automatically repositioned by Inventor very very far from the actual sketch. Inventor includes the positions of these dimensions in its calculation of it's what I'll call its view window (the stuff you want to see), so whenever I use the "zoom all" tool or the view cube the resulting view is very very zoomed out! I need to center my mouse on the origin and rotate the scroll wheel as much as 7 times to bring the part back to a reasonable size (approximately filling my window)! 

Is it an Inventor bug that is causing these sketch dimensions to be repositioned so far from the sketch, or am I doing something weird to cause this? I couldn't have placed them there manually when I created the sketch.

After I hit "Zoom All":

2013-09-11_12-24-16.png

After 7 turns of my scroll wheel to zoom in:

2013-09-11_12-26-19.png

Can anyone provide any advice?

Thank you,

Vernon

2013-09-11_12-26-55.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CCarreiras
in reply to: tvernonbaker

Hi!

You can drag the dimensions closer to the solid.

If you drag the dimensions closer to the solid, they maintain the position or they go again to far positions?

Regards.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
tvernonbaker
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thank you for your response, but I know that I can drag the dimensions closer to the solid. This seems like an extra and needless step that I shouldn't have to take, since I didn't put the dimensions to these far-out positions in the first place. I am looking for the root cause and solution to the problem.

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

@tvernonbaker wrote:

I am looking for the root cause and solution to the problem.

I don't know if this will help - but I never project the origin planes - only the Origin Center Point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 11
tvernonbaker
in reply to: JDMather

Interesting. I am trying to filter myself so I don't ask a question with an obvious answer, but it's not coming to me; without projecting origin planes, how do you maintain parallelism or perpendicularity using only the origin center point? Do you offset work planes before sketching and then project them into your sketch?

Message 6 of 11
rdyson

Another NOT answer:
If you turn off Fit-to-View in ViewCube Options IV will not zoom out to the distant dimensions.

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: rdyson

@rdyson wrote:
... IV will not zoom out to the distant dimensions.

I thought the problem description was how to avoid Inventor throwing sketch dimensions way out into space?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 11
tvernonbaker
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks - that was helpful.

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

@tvernonbaker wrote:

....without projecting origin planes, how do you maintain parallelism or perpendicularity using only the origin center point?

Inventor automatically places Horizontal, Perpendicular and Paralled constraints for me.
I don't need the projected planes.

Message 10 of 11
tvernonbaker
in reply to: JDMather

I see. I had turned off all automatic constraints so that I intentionally choose all my constraints, but I see that it is cumulatively much more work to always manually add those constraints than to allow Inventor to do them automatically and then remove them on the few occasions I don't want them. 

Thank you again JD.

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

@tvernonbaker wrote:

... the few occasions I don't want them. 

Thank you again JD.

Hold down the Ctrl key when you don't want a constraint.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report