Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace the same and alered links created by Frame Generator question

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Orest_iy
393 Views, 3 Replies

Replace the same and alered links created by Frame Generator question

Hello

I have the frame built by Frame Generator.

I have many links with some alteration, for instance the bolt holes.

A lot of links are repeatable with absolutely the same alterations and same in size.

I wish I can use the one altered link and use it where it must be as I would do with a regular parts. Otherwise I should spent a lot of time for too boring job "drilling" all links at the same spots.

In this case the BOM will give me a list of different parts nevertheless it is not true and will make unwanted manufacturing problems.

If I replace a link which is the same as other the Inventor could turn it to the wrong side.

For example I need existing holes upright and will have them downright as result of replacement.

To fix this situation I go Properties of a link and uncheck the Grounded and fit the link by regular constraints.

The question is it some other easier way of resolving this situation?

Best regards,

Orest Yavtushenko

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Orest_iy

Hi, not sure I understand 100! However...

you can still place your good old standard inventor parts into your assembly as much as if you were not even using frame generator.

just put them into the assembly above your frame generated phantom assembly. That way you can make one part and use it many times.

hope this helps?

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 4
Orest_iy
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Mark,

Just imagine I have a ladder built by Frame Gen.

I use the same profile for steps and supporting bars and I have ten steps.

I am planning to attach steps to two supporting bars by drilling them through and drilling the each step twice for bolt connection.

As result I will have at BOM 12 different parts but actually two and ten absolutely same parts.

I do not like to drill all 10 steps and I wish to drill just one and replace the rest nine with this one, plus replace the one supporting bar.

So I created the Frame Gen construction and then drilled one step and replaced the rest by Replacing. The problem is Inventor could put each step in wrong position, for example holes will go perpendicularly.

Best regards,

Orest Yavtushenko

Message 4 of 4
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Orest_iy

hi Orest,

in that case if i was doing it then i would only use frame gen to only make the parts that would be the first instance, rather than make all of them first from frame gen and then later replace them.

so then i would just copy and paste as many instances of that part into the parent assy of the frame gen phantom assembly. then constrain them yourself using traditional inventor techniques. you do not need to use frame gen for the whole job.

i suspect that if you use frame gen for some that will be swapped out later, then inventor will take the wrong side or orientation of the instance depending on how it was defined when it was made.

if i was you right now, i would delete the extra ones, and just do what i noted above, if that makes sense?

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums