Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace assembly with part

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mcintosa
277 Views, 1 Reply

Replace assembly with part

I am capturing a book-case design that I made long ago into Intentor.  I am almost finished, and I want to produce .dwg files and a bill of materials of parts that can be held.

For various reasons, almost all the items in the existing design are assemblies, and the underlying parts correspond more or less to half of physical parts that are contained inside a repeating cell.  I will almost certainly continue using this approach.

A simplified design that shows this is at https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/0Bx35YZ-0A4ffM0J1TlJPcjFXYXM in the file Display.iam

I created the file Slat.ipt by using derive (Slat.iam).

If I replace the Slat assemblies with the file Slat.ipt, the bill of materials will show parts that correspond to physical parts that I can hold in my hand, or list on an invoice.  I can do this with many, many mouse operations.

To make this modification quickly, I attempted to do Component -> replace on the Slat assembly.  I use this operation a lot to replace one version of an assembly with another.  When I do it with a .ipt file, the system pauses for some tens of seconds, then crashes.

A brute force work around is to use the mouse to do the replacement, essentially rebuilding the entire project in place.  I wonder if anyone has other thoughts.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
karthur1
in reply to: mcintosa

I am not seeing the crash when I replace the Slat.ipt with Slat.iam.  Inventor complains, of course, about constraints being lost, but that is normal.  Here is what I see when I do what you describe.

Not real sure why you are deriving the slat.iam into the slat.ipt, but I guess you have your reasons. You do know that you can change the BOM structure of the Slat.iam from "Normal" to one of the others to get what you need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report