Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename browser nodes within a part file

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tommy1967
893 Views, 4 Replies

Rename browser nodes within a part file

Is there a way to rename browser nodes within a part in a similar way that the rename browser nodes tool works in assemblies??  I am copying designs with derived parts, after copying the design I can see that the part files contain the correct links to other parts when I open the base component but they display as the old name in the browser which is not ideal.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi  tommy1967,

Do you have a screen shot you could share that shows what is displaying the old names?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5

Hi Curtis,

Please see the attached screen shot, after copying an assembly containing derived parts using the design assistant, when I open a derived part it displays the base component filenames of the original derived part in the browser yet when I right click and open the base component it is the correct file.  Design assistant is carrying out the copy as I wish, with the exception of the browser updating.

You can see that I want all the new file names to end with the suffix -2 they have been copied from an original assembly with all parts ending -1.

I know that the vault is the correct solution in the long term, just wondering if there is any workaround available that we could use at the minute to update the browser nodes at a part level.

Message 4 of 5

Hi  tommy1967,

If you open the base component(s) and look at the browser do you see the file extension listed?

If not, and you go in and manually reset it as shown in this image, does that then fix the issue in the derrived part?

I'm thinking that maybe your base components have had their browser names overridden. In which case Design Assistant might be getting tripped up on the file naming.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 5

Hi Curtis,

We find that the browser nodes in assemblies aren't updating after copying using DA, so we have been renaming them using the productivity tool. 

The individual parts I am getting the problem with are probably a copy of a design that has been copied from elsewhere beforehand and have had overridden browser nodes, so that would make sense that this is what is causing the problem.

I tried what you have suggested and renamed base components nodes manually in the assembly but unfortunately it doesn't update the part. I will try a couple of things out, to see if we can eliminate the problem by changing our workflow for future jobs.

Cheers

T   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report