Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference parameter measuring between two parts in an assembly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mrattray
363 Views, 3 Replies

Reference parameter measuring between two parts in an assembly

I need to assign the dimension in my screenshot to a parameter so I can use it to drive another assembly. However, I can't find any way to capture it in a usable manner.

In the screenshot I have an associative part inserted that contains only a sketch with the projected line and point that I wish to measure between, but the geometery in the sketch does not update when the model geometery changes. This seems to be normal behaviour?

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong here or suggest another method?

Capture.JPG

Thanks in advance,

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
harco
in reply to: mrattray

It would seem logical to do it the way you have done because you don't know what you need till you get to the point you are at, I have done it myself and found the same problem.

It will definitely need an assembly update at least but this may not be enough and to fully force a recalc you would need a rebuild all.

Would a sketch in the assembly help, rather than in another part? not sure just a guess.

I think it's the reference that's the problem and needs a full rebuild for Inventor to work out the result.

If you could, possibly another option would be a master sketch part to control geometry and propagate up through to other parts and assemblies.

This would push dimensions out rather than pull them in.

Not what you want to hear when you've got so far.

Message 3 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: harco

I've ried every variation of update, rebuild, punch it in the kidney I can think of.

I'm a lot further then what's shown in that screen cap, way to far to change the entire modeling strategy.

Capture.JPG

What I'm really trying to do here is calculate the needed length of the incline section to get to a given discharge height. I'm triging out the length of the hypotenuse and am using a reference parameter from a part to know how much to subtract for the concave (lower curved piece). Now I'm tying to get a parameter from the head (top curvy piece) so my program knows exactly how long the incline needs to be.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 4
harco
in reply to: mrattray

Yeah, I thought that, practically finished but then you need last piece of the puzzle, bummer!.

Can you use the piece that the projected edges come from to hold the reference then you would only have 2 parts with one projection across parts.

I'm guessing that the sketch part having refs from 2 separate parts might be confusing things, not sure, just trying to throw ideas you way.

Would creating feature from the point and line in the ref part force a calculation, guessing again.

From what you say about the concave section that the method seems to work there ok, so should work at the top too, doubly annoying!

Sorry I can't be more help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report