Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce file size in Inventor 2009

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
darekdavis
2306 Views, 4 Replies

Reduce file size in Inventor 2009

Firstly I want to apologize for asking this question. I'm in a pinch here and have only searched breifly within these forums on this matter.

My situation is such that I have been creating a system design for one of our customers who would like to use the 3D model within there ship constructor environment. Initially they were able to use the files I sent them in .sat format, but as the model has grown they can no longer open and minipulate them as before. Once loaded into AutoCAD it imediately crashes. I have talked with my contact there to see if there is a more powerful pc around for him to try loading these on, but I have yet to recieve a reply. I am able to load these fine on my end so I imagine this will help, however a better solution would be great. The last .sat file I saved rang in at 64MB.

I have looked into the shrinkwrap add-in but it doesn't appear to work with IV2009 x64.

Is there any other solution anyone can come up with that may help this situation out?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Darek

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BMiller63
in reply to: darekdavis

not sure if it'll help or hurt file size, but you can use the AEC exchange tools to output the file as a 3D solid DWG file. It'll come into ACAD as a bunch of solid wrapped in a block, so the user will need to explode once if they want to modify the solids by themselves.

Message 3 of 5
Ferreras_04

is there a particular way to reduce file size on part files? I have noticed that whenever I create a part file that contains circular and/or rectangular array patterns, the file size increases dramatically. I tried saving in different file formats but unfortunately It doesnt seem to change that much. Also, the larger the file size becomes, the longer it'll take inventor to open any of these files, while at the same time working with them is a big pain. So, any suggestions ?

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Ferreras_04

I would have posted a new topic on this rather than continue an old thread.

There might be some specific modeling technique/strategy that could dramatically reduce your file size.

Identify an example file that you would like to get smaller.

Find the red End of Part marker at the bottom of the history tree and drag to the top hiding all features.
Save the file with the EOP in this rolled up state.

Right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
Attach the resulting *.zip example here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! The most compact file format I can think of is outputting solid geometry as wireframe in IGES. Open the assembly you are working on and Save Copy As -> IGES -> Options -> select Wireframe option for Solid.

The resultant IGES file will be extremely compact. Then you can import it to AutoCAD.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums