Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangular pattern. Is it possible ??

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kruuger
432 Views, 7 Replies

Rectangular pattern. Is it possible ??

Hello

I want to create rectangular pattern of hole feature, this will be cabinet side w/ holes for shelf support.
I create two column of holes, one is located Depth/8 and second Depth*(6/8).
Holes should be located 6.75 from bottom edge and 6.75 from top edge (dist between holes should be always 32mm)

Problem is how to connect number of holes w/ panel height.
Please see attached for clarity.

Can we do this in Inventor??

THX
Kruuger
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: kruuger

You might want to take a look at "iLogic". This
builds in rules/intelligence to your model.

--
IV2010pro-suite
Dell 670 dual Xeon - 3.2
3gb memory,
SCSI320-15k rpm
XP-Pro, sp3
Quadro FX3400: Driver: 182.65
Direct3D
SpacePilot Rel V: 3.7.12 Dvr V: 6.7.11 Firmware 3.12
AVG

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hello
I want to create rectangular pattern of hole feature, this will be cabinet
side w/ holes for shelf support. I create two column of holes, one is located
Depth/8 and second Depth*(6/8). Holes should be located 6.75 from bottom edge
and 6.75 from top edge (dist between holes should be always 32mm) Problem is
how to connect number of holes w/ panel height. Please see attached for
clarity. Can we do this in Inventor?? THX Kruuger
Message 3 of 8
jconklin

> Can we do this in Inventor?

Absolutely ... while iLogic is one possible method; you can also just make several parameters and equations to define your array (as shown in the attached picture).

Exactly how you set the equations depends on your design intent;

1) If your panel height is freely variable with the fixed hole spacing; then you might use equations similar to the picture. Although this will not always provide the 6.75mm hole to edge distance (which is why I created the 'Error' variable).

2) If the edge distance and hole spacing are fixed; then your panel height becomes

Panel_Height = Hole_Number * Vertical_Spacing + 2 * Edge_Gap
Vertical_Spacing = 32mm
Edge_Gap = 6.75mm

and

where Hole_Number is defined by the user.

- - - -

When creating the array, you just use the variable names rather than absolute measurements.

HTH
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

As jconklin says, it's very easy, with multiple methods available. Design intent determins which one is appropriate. I've attached an edited version of your file with a second hole and pattern. The pattern I put in is centered with 6.75in used as a minimum margin. It's important that you take care of the units in functions. A "red" equation usually means units problems. Look up floor and ceil in HELP.
Message 5 of 8
kruuger

Thanks for all your answers.
I work a little w/ iLogic. Probably it is no problem to do this.
But in my case it is not necessary to use iLogic.

bbusse i use your magic code "(Height-DistFromBottom-DistFromTop)/32mm". This is exactly what i want.
Inventor accept this formula. I doesn't matter that number of hole is not INTEGER.

THX once again

Attach is final part
Message 6 of 8
jconklin

Seems my picture didn't attach (so I will try again) ... but I am glad that you found a solution.

While the array might accept a non integer value, others editing your models might be confused by the fractional holes. To solve this (as shown in the picture), use the floor( ) function in your expression.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

kruuger,
Leaving hole count as non-int is not a problem for the rectangular pattern, but it is a problem if the parameter is used in other parameter formulas. In the case of my example, it is. It is used to calculate the distance between the first and last holes in the pattern, which is then used to locate the point for the patterned hole in its sketch. My intent was to center the pattern on the sheet, and so the hole is dimensioned from the centerpoint of the sketch. If you want to specify different top/bottom/r-side/l-side margins, different dimensions and formulas are needed, but the concept remains.
Brian.
Message 8 of 8
kruuger

i don't use pin number in other parameter so non-int is fine for me.

now i see that i need to read about inventor functions. looks like they are very important.

thanks for all tips

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums