Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-using parts and assemblies

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
556 Views, 11 Replies

Re-using parts and assemblies

Hi

I'm working on a project with three small and very similar vessels. I'm done with the first vessel and I want to re-use this assembly when I start to design the next one. But vessel number two will require some changes to the parts (nozzle location and so on)

My question is, how do I re-use my assemblies and parts so that I can make changes to them without it affecting my original parts and assemblies?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
swhite
in reply to: Anonymous

if you are using vault do a design copy and rename the assembly and parts to your new names. If you do not have vault it is a little more involved. You can copy your assembly and rename, then make copies of any parts that will change and then replace them in your assembly with ctrl+h.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 12
jletcher

Depends do you have Vault?

If not use Design Assistant use the copy command.

Also seeing you are asking you may want to read up on Design Assistant before you try it but it is your best friend for this..

Just always remember one thing back-up files before you try this just in case it don't turn out right you still have good files...

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you for the reply!

I will read up on and try the design assistant Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jletcher

Sorry you must think I'm stupid but I've read the chapter on the design assistant in the Inventor help and I still can't figure out how to copy or rename my files.

Message 6 of 12
ampster401

Message 7 of 12
jletcher
in reply to: ampster401

Video is nice but it left out the find IDW or linked files.

If you still need help let me know I think I have a video that will show you how to find files.

If you have IDW file and wish to copy those as well so you don't have to make new drawings that video link don't show that but does show how to copy.

Let me know..

Message 8 of 12
ampster401

James, could you provide more info please regarding the titleblocks?  Video's and how-to's if possible.

I had roughly this same question come up here and in a brief and quick search on the net I had found that video.

TIA

Steve

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Sorry for late reply. The video helped a lot. Haven't made any Idw:s yet. Is there going to be a problem when I want to create Idw:s later?
Message 10 of 12
jletcher

No you will not have any issues with making drawing later exept for time. If you had the drawings done for the 1st set when you make copies you can copy the drawings also.
Message 11 of 12
ampster401

@Anonymous wrote:

Video is nice but it left out the find IDW or linked files.

If you still need help let me know I think I have a video that will show you how to find files.

Let me know..

um, sure?

Message 12 of 12
jletcher
in reply to: ampster401

Ok will find and upload to you tube. I will let you know when it is uploaded..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report