Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re:Part Model Text Wrapping

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dcmorgan
515 Views, 6 Replies

Re:Part Model Text Wrapping

Hello All,

I have this round part in which I want to scribe some text on the OD of the part. I know you can place a text box on the model part, but tI can't wrap it around my geometry. I don't really want to emboss it or extrude it because when I drop it in my CAM software, it keeps reading it as a pocket and wants to generate toolpath around the number. I merely just want the text wrapped on the OD of the part so that I can use it as toolpath. Is there anyway to text wrap on a modeled part without extruding or embossing it which would then create a pocket????....Can you perhaps place centerlines in the number...that could help as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am using Autodesk 2010.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sam_m
in reply to: dcmorgan

so you want visual text around a part without it changing the part's geometry?

why not use a decal?  create the text in a paint program, save it out as an bmp or png and bring into an Inventor sketch and decal it 😉

that do the trick?

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

@dcmorgan wrote:

I merely just want the text wrapped on the OD of the part so that I can use it as toolpath.  

3D sketch -  Project Curve to Surface with Wrap to Face. (after creating your text as single-line paths in 2D sketch) I don't think the Decal method would get what you wanted.

In my experience the text tools within CAM software work much better than Inventor text.
(CAM software will generally include a single-line center-path text format rather than text edges.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
BMiller63

probably creating a JPG of the text and using the Decal is about the only way to go if you can't have the edges created in the part.

Edit: ooops I see that was already suggested whilst I typed.

Message 5 of 7
dcmorgan
in reply to: JDMather

Once I create the 2D text, it won't let me project that onto the surface in the 3d sketch environment. Does it not like the text box or am I doing something wrong??

Message 6 of 7
BMiller63

Ohhh wait. I think I did not read your original post well

If you want no text edges in the part at all > go with decal

or

If you want the a single centerline for each text character that your CAM sw can trace > not sure, other than doing what JD suggest, and using the CAM sw to add the text.

Message 7 of 7
dcmorgan

I went JD route and used my CAM software to generate the text and wrap it. It was actually pretty easy. Thanks for all of your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report