Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RENAME BROWSER NODE COMMAND

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
msklein
991 Views, 5 Replies

RENAME BROWSER NODE COMMAND

WHAT WERE they thinking when they created the Rname Browser Command. We had somone find out about it and really screw up a bunch of top level assy's. I'm having to WASTE WAY TOO much time fixing them, bringing them back to showing the modified descriptions in the Browser. So i can figure out what the frack i'm looking at.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dick_upton
in reply to: msklein

Sorry to feel your pain, but - in my case - Sweet!!  I didn't know this existed. Thank you!!

How long has this been in there!?

Message 3 of 6
msklein
in reply to: dick_upton

NO, idea just had to deal with the mess today. All i can say is make sure you thru ally understand what a command does and it’s consequences before using it.

So how does this work for you?

Message 4 of 6
dick_upton

First off we're set up so that part number = file name = browser node name, no ifs ands or buts. Anytime someone gets creative with browser node names it screws us when we go to copy the design. Somehow browser node names get stuck and don't change when we copy file ABC.ipt to file XYZ.ipt and it gets really confusing when the browser node says that it's still ABC when it's really XYZ.

I had this kludgey VBA macro that is supposed to set part number = filename and clear any browser node edits, but it's flakey. So this is sort of rather better, in a way, since it's right there in the ribbon. Obviously I havent' played with it enough to know if it's better than the macro we're currently using. Hope it's better.

Good luck to you. Cheers.

Message 5 of 6
msklein
in reply to: dick_upton

THAT i can understand, but reading a part number in the browser does nothing for me. There for i also add a description to the name at the lower level file, so that it always feeds up. i do understand the name not updating with copy design or changing a part file description at the assy tree. But using this command would screw up the part description that has been added. A file tree with only part numbers is not informative, part names are informative.

Message 6 of 6
dick_upton

Well if you're concatenating several or simply inserting a single property, maybe you can Frankenstein the VBA code that I had. Just let me know. Otherwise, sounds like a slap on the wrist should fixya.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report