Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM related slow performance in IPT?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Al_RItchie
435 Views, 6 Replies

RAM related slow performance in IPT?

Hi all,

I'm working on a pretty complex single part (ipt) surface model.

When I zoom in and out I tend to run into a long delay before Inventor will allow me to continue. The programme basically pauses for 30 secs or more, but doesn't crash or do anything nasty. I assume this is related to lack of memory? (Inventor 2012 64bit, 4Gb RAM). Before I go on a shopping spree, can anyone confirm that this type of behaviour is a memory issue?

Cheers guys.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: Al_RItchie

4Gb of memory on a 64bit O/S would be the same as having 3Gb of memory on an 32bit O/S. 6Gb would be the bare minimum for memory for a 64bit O/S

System spec's would help as well.

If possible post the part here.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
yannick3

Hi
You can change your display quality setting to medium or rough. This is in the application option display tab
Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 5 of 7
Al_RItchie

Cheers guys.

I've modified the graphics setting as per suggestion which seems to help a little. Unfortunately I can't post the IPT as somewhat sensitve in nature (the work that is, not me Smiley Wink )

I'm pretty sure it is a memory resouce issue, it's almost as if the programme has to load in another chunk if I zoom in past a certain level, if that makes sense.

Message 6 of 7
yannick3

Hi
what is your graphic card?
Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 7 of 7
sam_m

goto your Inventor install directory (default: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 20##)

there should be a \bin subdirectory, open that and find a program called memprobe.exe

Make sure it is monitoring Inventor (which i think it does by default).

This will show how much memory Inventor is using and when the physial (RAM) is running out and it is needing to page out to virtual memory.  If that virtual memory (marked as Inventor Page File Used) is significant then it shows you would benefit from a memory upgrade.

In all honesty, 4gb on a 64bit system is a potential massive bottleneck and you should be on 8gb minimum.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report