Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Doesn't look to workgroup when opening a file???

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
101 Views, 2 Replies

R6 Doesn't look to workgroup when opening a file???

I'm using a project file that has a workspace folder, folders for our standard parts that are read only, and folders for hardware that are read only.

When using IV5.3, if I would click the open icon, the open window would come up pointing to the last directory I opened from OR my workgroup. Now, its pointing to our FLAT HEAD CAP SCREWS folder. What is with this? Is there a setting I can change to resolve this? It is a real pain in the behind to have to scroll to the bottom of the folder list, click on "workspace" and wait for the files to refresh.

Any input would be appreciated. Chip

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't suppose you have the library paths placed in your project file
ahead of workspace or workgroup? Is it possible you have your workspace
and or workgroup directories under you library directory on your hard drive?

boilerchip wrote:

> I'm using a project file that has a workspace folder, folders for our
> standard parts that are read only, and folders for hardware that are
> read only.
>
> When using IV5.3, if I would click the open icon, the open window
> would come up pointing to the last directory I opened from OR my
> workgroup. Now, its pointing to our FLAT HEAD CAP SCREWS folder. What
> is with this? Is there a setting I can change to resolve this? It is a
> real pain in the behind to have to scroll to the bottom of the folder
> list, click on "workspace" and wait for the files to refresh.
>
> Any input would be appreciated. Chip
>
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Charles,

I don't have anything set up as workspace in my project file, though I may have called it that before. What I have is a workgroup folder, and about 30 other folders. Most of these folders are in the 3 main locations on our servers. The workgroup folders are wherever we (the engineering dept) want them at the time. We basically always use the same project file, but with a different workgroup for different projects.

Now to get to the point. When I open a file, the folders that it opens to are not in an order thats similar to either the order of the files in the project file OR the order of the files on the server. Similar files are still grouped together, such as ENGR10-ENGR27, and are in alphabetical/numerical order with respect to similar folders. They are however, not in alpha/numeric order with other file groups. As an example, the folders in our fasteners main folder show up first. Then the folders in our purchased main folder show up next. Both of these main folders are on the same level as our ENGR folders, which show up next. Finally, my workgroup shows up on the list.

Anyone else having this "problem"? I know its not a big deal, but there should be a setting or something that allows you to open to the directory of choice or to the directory last opened from. The old open dialogue was intuitive and easy to use, I can understand why it would be changed to this thing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report