Inventor General

Valued Mentor
japike
Message 21 of 23 (299 Views)

Re: Quick Poll: Am I Crazy???

03-16-2012 05:03 AM in reply to: jeanchile

Nice work - very impressive. And thanks for the thread. I read this very carefully and got lots of good stuff from it.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2013
Valued Mentor
jeanchile
Message 22 of 23 (280 Views)

03-16-2012 08:54 AM in reply to: japike

japike wrote:

Nice work - very impressive.

Thank you. I just looked it up and it took 247.48 hours to complete the framing and drawings. That's a bit longer than if I had used one of our other programs but I learned a lot and it was nice not having to deal with all the different file types and junk that comes with using the other software.

Here's what it looks like without the raised pattern floor plate:

No RPFP.jpg

Inventor Professional 2013 (SP-2.3), Product Design Suite Ultimate
Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.4GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1, 64-bit OS, (2) GeForce GTX 580 (331.81), Space Pilot Pro (3.16.1)
Laptop: Intel Core i7 3.9GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP-1, 64-bit OS, GeForce GTX 780 (331.81), SpaceNavigator (3.17.7)
Contributor
HO-AD
Message 23 of 23 (162 Views)

07-09-2013 02:14 PM in reply to: jeanchile

Hi guys. I've been using inventor for about a year now in the oil / gas industry. I do alot of piping and pressure vessels, which works out great with inventor. But we also get large structural platforms, walkways, and pipe racks which I do with inventor but it drives me nuts sometimes.

I do a skeleton part file

Drop in all of my beams with FG

Trim/ cope as needed

Design all different sheer plates, gusset plates, stiffeners and angle clip connections. (This is the most time consuming and laborious task)

I do a lot of mirroring of connection when possible. I try to ground everything to avoid a “unresolved constraint” nightmare.

I then create sketches on the faces of the structural members and project all the hole centers and use the hole tool to make all my holes

By now I’ve had a design change and am getting “invalid sketch axis origin”, “unresolved sketch geometry” etc.

I get all that sorted out and shrink-wrap the main framing members.

I create the handrails and stairs in a separate assembly using the shrink-wrap part

Then I shrink-wrap those and place them back into the original assembly to make the bolt holes. Oh and I make sure I break the link on the shrink-wrap parts to avoid a cycle.

Then I proceed to the mind-numbing process of breaking my assembly into levels of detail for each individual part (beam/ column w/ plates/clips). For any of you who has tried to break the frame into LODs you know what I’m talking about. You can’t select individual structural members in the assembly environment; you have to select them individually from the tree.

Then I do my drawings with balloons. It takes me about 30 minutes to straighten out the BOM.

Theirs probably other parts to my workflow but those would be the main parts. Anyone in the US use ASI profile? It looks like this would speed things up quite a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions or questions for me? It looks like a lot of you are dealing with issues like I’m dealing with. Or if you’re not any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube