Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about sketcher and work planes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dugave_11
557 Views, 6 Replies

Question about sketcher and work planes

I'm a long pro/e user and am now getting into Inventor...

For the most part it's been an easy transition. What I do miss is the pro/e sketcher.
For example, if you draw a rectangle and dimension it, it gets automatically zoomed
so you can see it, in Inventor you're left with the empty screen. 😞
Not a big deal I guess.

But, what I can understand is why I can't put a dimension in sketch from some line to
a plane (XY for example)? Is that really so? I tried making the plane visible but it didn't
help.

Also, why doesn't symmetric constraint work with planes?

Is there a way to use planes when creating the
sketch?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: dugave_11

I'm posting this on my phone so I can't be as descriptive as I would like (screenshots, etc.) but in Inventor you need to use the Project Geometry tool to project the work planes onto the sketch. If I remember correctly, the work plane will need to be perpendicular to the sketching plane not just intersect it so sometimes more work-geometry (e.g. work axes at plane intersections) needs to be created (someone smart like JD, blair, Curtis, or mcgyver will hopefully be by to confirm that in a little bit). Once the workplane is projected you can dimension to the line representing the projected plane or axis. Your symmetry constraints should work with the newly projected geometry as well.

Good luck.
Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 7
yannick3

Hi
The only way to constraint sketch geometry with work feature is to project it to the sketch plane but with 3d sketch you can apply constraint directly with work feature ( coincident and parallel )

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 4 of 7
CCarreiras

Hi!

You have to use "project geometry" to project the plane in the sketch. The projected plane, becomes a line in your sketch and you can use it to place dimensions.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 7
JDMather

As noted by others the Project Geometry is roughly the equivalent of the Project command in Creo (Pro/E).

Project.png

I can tell you that I do not remember the last time that I did a Project Geometry of/or dimensioned to a workplane - I just don't do it.

In the browser expand the Origin and right click on the Center Point and select Visibilty.

I dimesion to the origin Center Point.

I very seldom have a workplane visible.

You might go through these

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
rdyson

There is also an App Option to automatically project the part origin when you start a sketch.

Capture.JPG

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 7
dugave_11

Thanks everybody for the answers!!

The project geometry (projecting the work plane) did the trick. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report