Inventor General

Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (169 Views)

Question about STEP file conversion

169 Views, 6 Replies
05-03-2012 02:12 PM

The company I work for has a client who is asking for a STEP file of one of our products that was modeled in inventor.

my problems are these:

1. When i convert the file i lose any decals on the model and it being a STEP file that may be unavoidable, but I wanted to ask if there is a solution for this.

2. Since there are similar products on the market I want a way to mark the product so if it is ever used it shows it came from our company. More or less the same function a title block would serve.

Please help

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 2 of 7 (167 Views)

Re: Question about STEP file conversion

05-03-2012 02:21 PM in reply to: PKorb

Decals will be lost in the STEP file conversion.  There's nothing you can really do about that.

For your second question - you could use the Emboss command to actually place your company markings on the part itself (either protruding from or cut into a surface, like letters cast on a part or stamped into one). 

John Tyler
Inventor 2013
Windows 7 64 Bit
Contributor
Message 3 of 7 (162 Views)

05-03-2012 02:40 PM in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the quick response.

In order to do that what file type would our logo need to be in? Or would i need to trace it every time i needed to do this?

*Expert Elite*
CelticDesignServices
Message 4 of 7 (159 Views)

05-03-2012 02:52 PM in reply to: PKorb

I'm pretty sure it can be done with a .jpeg?

It's been a while since I've done this myself but I have a need to attempt the same thing coming up in the very near future, so I'm curious to know if it works.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Contributor
Message 5 of 7 (154 Views)

05-03-2012 03:18 PM in reply to: PKorb

From what i can tell it looks like the emboss command needs a sketch with a closed loop like a extrusion.... so that means tracing a logo yes?

Contributor
Message 6 of 7 (136 Views)

05-04-2012 05:51 AM in reply to: PKorb

Also let me ask this: Is there any format in inventor i can save my model as that will retain the decals?

Employee
Message 7 of 7 (113 Views)

05-04-2012 01:26 PM in reply to: PKorb

You may want to consider exporting it as DWF. Autodesk Design Review can be downloaded for free (http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube