Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about STEP file conversion

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
319 Views, 6 Replies

Question about STEP file conversion

The company I work for has a client who is asking for a STEP file of one of our products that was modeled in inventor.

my problems are these:

1. When i convert the file i lose any decals on the model and it being a STEP file that may be unavoidable, but I wanted to ask if there is a solution for this.

2. Since there are similar products on the market I want a way to mark the product so if it is ever used it shows it came from our company. More or less the same function a title block would serve.

Please help

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Anonymous

Decals will be lost in the STEP file conversion.  There's nothing you can really do about that.

For your second question - you could use the Emboss command to actually place your company markings on the part itself (either protruding from or cut into a surface, like letters cast on a part or stamped into one). 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the quick response.

In order to do that what file type would our logo need to be in? Or would i need to trace it every time i needed to do this?

Message 4 of 7
CelticDesignServices

I'm pretty sure it can be done with a .jpeg?

It's been a while since I've done this myself but I have a need to attempt the same thing coming up in the very near future, so I'm curious to know if it works.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

From what i can tell it looks like the emboss command needs a sketch with a closed loop like a extrusion.... so that means tracing a logo yes?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Also let me ask this: Is there any format in inventor i can save my model as that will retain the decals?

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

You may want to consider exporting it as DWF. Autodesk Design Review can be downloaded for free (http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report