Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about STEP file conversion

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
321 Views, 6 Replies

Question about STEP file conversion

The company I work for has a client who is asking for a STEP file of one of our products that was modeled in inventor.

my problems are these:

1. When i convert the file i lose any decals on the model and it being a STEP file that may be unavoidable, but I wanted to ask if there is a solution for this.

2. Since there are similar products on the market I want a way to mark the product so if it is ever used it shows it came from our company. More or less the same function a title block would serve.

Please help

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Anonymous

Decals will be lost in the STEP file conversion.  There's nothing you can really do about that.

For your second question - you could use the Emboss command to actually place your company markings on the part itself (either protruding from or cut into a surface, like letters cast on a part or stamped into one). 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the quick response.

In order to do that what file type would our logo need to be in? Or would i need to trace it every time i needed to do this?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I'm pretty sure it can be done with a .jpeg?

It's been a while since I've done this myself but I have a need to attempt the same thing coming up in the very near future, so I'm curious to know if it works.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

From what i can tell it looks like the emboss command needs a sketch with a closed loop like a extrusion.... so that means tracing a logo yes?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Also let me ask this: Is there any format in inventor i can save my model as that will retain the decals?

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

You may want to consider exporting it as DWF. Autodesk Design Review can be downloaded for free (http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report