Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 11 of 44 (2,758 Views)

Re: Quadro (best available) vs Other Graphics Cards

07-22-2011 02:13 AM in reply to: SimonlMAC

In the past an Autodesk rep said that if the dual-gpu graphics card is combined on card and reports to windows as a single unit then it counts.

i.e. If Device Manager shows 2 gpus under Display Adaptors it doesn't count but if it only shows one it does...

But... obviously a dual-gpu card will require more power and a larger PSU - all top-spec graphics cards can eat Watts when under load.

To the OP - AFAIK the Tesla cards are add-on cards to help with CUDA calculations.  At the moment Inventor doesn't use CUDA (apart from Moldflow and Ansys), so are a waste of cash.

with all this talk of "what's the best pc" - note that no matter whether it has a workstation or gaming card you're not guaranteed a trouble-free life.  The software will crash with both and bog-down at times with both.

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
Valued Mentor
RayFeiler
Message 12 of 44 (2,764 Views)

07-22-2011 05:56 AM in reply to: blair

Hi blair, I have a question for you. Do you like the performance of the 240Gb (4 x 60Gb SSD RAID0) hard drive? Have you ever compared to a 256Gb (2 x 128Gb SSD RAID0) setup? If so was the difference noticeable?

Thank you for your time, Ray

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 64-Bit

Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 13 of 44 (2,747 Views)

07-22-2011 08:28 AM in reply to: RayFeiler

Well, IV2012 Pro loads in 6 1/2 seconds, if that is any indication. The 4-drive unit in RAID0 will be about twice as fast as a 2-drive unit.

SSD drives in RAID0 are linear in there performance with respect to the number of drives in the RAID0.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Valued Mentor
RayFeiler
Message 14 of 44 (2,743 Views)

07-22-2011 08:30 AM in reply to: blair

Thanks for the info! :smileywink:

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 64-Bit

Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 15 of 44 (2,700 Views)

07-22-2011 04:53 PM in reply to: sam_m

“…But... obviously a dual-gpu card will require more power and a larger PSU - all top-spec graphics cards can eat Watts when under load. …”

A visit to the nVidia website for the GTX-590 revealed that its max power requirement is 365 Watts.

For anyone that is using this graphics card could you please provide details on the case you are using (mfr & model), and what cooling is installed, such as number of fans, fan specs and any other cooling considerations, such as water cooling, special processor cooling, special memory cooling, etc. Please note if the case has fan intake filters.

If you are using a temperature and fan monitor with thermocouple leads please provide any details, such as number of thermocouples the monitor provides and the model number of the monitor.

If you haven't already provided the power supply you are using could you please provide its output, mfr and model.  If you've had any issues requiring tech support on the PSU, please note.

Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 16 of 44 (2,693 Views)

07-22-2011 05:20 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

GPU temps run steady at 45c and 48c on the graphics card.

My case temps are in the attachment. (case.jpg)

I am running a Lian Li Tower due to the oversized motherboard. I have 2 x 120mm fans feeding air filtered air into the case and 2 x 120mm fans exhausting the air. CPU and 2 x 80mm fans in a push-pull on a Noctua NH-U12P finned cooling tower.

Kingwin 1000w modular power supply. You can never have enough power, mind you all seven of the SATA ports on the motherboard are being used.

The only way I can tell if this unit is running is to look see if the power lights are on and the fans are spinning. The case comes with acoustic foam on the side panels as well.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Win7-64
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 17 of 44 (2,652 Views)

07-23-2011 02:18 PM in reply to: blair

Thanks, Blair.  That is really good information.

Can you please give me the model number on your Lian Li case or a link?  I had to buy the AcoustiPak sound proofing material by obtaining it separately and installing it.  It wasn’t the greatest since it delaminated in some places over time.  They sent me a sample recently and it looks like they’ve improved it so de-laminating won’t be a problem anymore.  I haven’t tested the adhesive yet, used to apply the foam to the case, but the original was OK, except for the de-lamination between plys. 

It is preferable to have soundproofing factory installed by the case manufacturer if they apply soundproofing to all possible areas necessary to keep noise from exiting the case.

I went to a retail store (Fry’s) just to see what cases might be available.  The case I’m using now, Thermaltake Xaser III, came with 4 intake fans with intake filters, which I consider absolutely necessary.  Thermaltake no longer provides these filters on high end cases (a casualty of the current economy and bean-counter decision making).  I replaced all the fans with higher capacity fans.  Most of Fry’s display cases did not come with intake filters, or if they did the number of fans was inadequate, and front side access was not as convenient as my current one.  My case, with the soundproofing, isn’t as quiet as you describe yours to be, but that may be due to the fact that there is a total of 7 case fans upgraded to higher capacity.

I have a fan control module, Digital Doc 5+, that can be set to operate the fans when the thermocouples that are strategically placed on internal components reach the set point.  However the thermocouples don’t work anymore so I just run the fans full tilt.  It is to be expected that thermocouples will eventually fail, as they have a life expectancy.  I notice Lian Li also can supply fan control modules.  Did you add one to your case? 

Addendum: While searching I came across a description for the Digital Doc 5+ at:

http://ed.toton.org/reviews/digitaldoc5.html

User Manual:

http://www.inxtron.com/files/manual/dd5plus.pdf

Also thermocouple replacements (hard to find) at:

http://www.inxtron.com/images/support/faq/DD5sensor.pdf

I don’t believe this product is available any longer, since no vendor came up in my Internet browser.  That’s too bad, and probably another casualty of the current economy.  It has more comprehensive monitoring than any other monitor out there currently, and the thermocouple replacements now available for mine were never listed on the manufacturer’s website.  I have looked at other fan speed/temperature monitors for the planned workstation, and none of them will supply replacement thermocouples except under warranty. (????)

It appears that your card, listed as an nVidia GTX 590 Classified is an EVGA version of the nVidia GPU.  Am I correct?  If so, is the EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 590 Advanced Graphics Tuning supplied with the EVGA graphics card?  Also, do you have enough hours on this graphics card to be able to vouch for the reliability of the temperature monitor?  Is the temperature monitoring built into the GPU?

The Noctua NH-U12P cpu cooling fan with wick circulating coolant is a great idea.  Thanks for that info.

There is also one other item that may have to be addressed in a separate topic, but it’s GPU related.  I may want to grab images for the purpose of product sales that could include walkthroughs.  That was the reason for the earlier reference to Tesla.  If anyone finds the EVGA nVidia GTX 590 is capable for these purposes from their own experience that would be good to know.

I’m sorry about all the questions, as I’m sure you probably have a lot of other responsibilities, so I’ll understand if you can’t spend time answering all of the above.  I may have to break up the questions into topics for separate posts.

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 18 of 44 (2,597 Views)

07-25-2011 08:21 AM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

The Lian Li case is a PC-B70 series and it does have a fan control module that is accessible from behind the front cover which snaps on.

Yes both the motherboard and graphics card are EVGA products. If you register the products on their website you end up with exteneded warranties.

If you check the JPG's attached, one will show a "skin" of the EVGA "Precision" tuning and card status.

Win7-64
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 19 of 44 (2,566 Views)

07-25-2011 08:34 PM in reply to: blair

Thanks much for the help, Blair. I’m currently costing the case model you provided. Amazon has a similar model, PC-Z70, which I guess is a successor version. I was able to visit an Internet retailer called SilverPc that had a “storefront” on Amazon. That was an interesting experience. Amazon’s price was $30 more. I suspect it was the State of California’s decision to go after Amazon if they had Internet retailers located in California, and require them to pay a sales tax on all their sales. It seems as though Amazon’s response to this is to allow them to continue to operate their websites out of Amazon if the retailers raise the price accordingly to cover the tax. Of course that constitutes a hidden tax on all who buy from them, whether in California or somewhere else. That is in violation of the “commerce clause”, by the way, if anyone still cares.

Distinguished Contributor
2grumpy
Message 20 of 44 (2,590 Views)

07-25-2011 10:27 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

i also have Quadro FX4000 and do not have any problems. Since installing it i have noticed significant improvement over Quadro 1600 in idw performance. i have tested opening time on graphic intensive drawing with 3 planar views, it has been cut from 12 min to 5 min. That time has been cut further almost 2 min since installing Inv 2012. Otherwise i have much faster rendering when using studio. Manipulating big assembly (approx 10K parts) in 3D is better, less jumpy.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube