Inventor General

Active Contributor
Zomby Woof
Message 1 of 4 (65 Views)

Putting in coordinate points?

65 Views, 3 Replies
02-24-2005 06:35 AM
Is there a way to put in a series of points using their X,Y,Z coordinates? Someone asked me to place them in so they can see how a tube is bent for inspection. I don't have training in Inventor (just a lessons book). I have experience in CATIA V4 and some Pro E training. In CATIA I could do it in a few minutes. In Inventor I don't have a clue. I found some function for "work points" put it didn't allow me to put in the coordinates. CATIA allowed me to put them in 3D space and just run lines from "point to point".
*Bob S.
Message 2 of 4 (65 Views)

Re: Putting in coordinate points?

02-24-2005 07:34 AM in reply to: Zomby Woof
If you use the workpoint pullout (need to be in part editing mode, not assembly), you can insert a "grounded" work point, then select the origin point, then select the temp ball of the temp coordinate system and then enter the XYZ offset values individually and OK out of it to place a workpoint. This gets old VERy quickly if you have alot of points, so you have lots of points to enter, you might want to try my addin that reads XYZ's from an excel spreadsheet. You can get it at: http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1942 Bob S. P.S. You will need IV9 for the above addin. "Zomby Woof" wrote in message news:2071421.1109255737680.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Is there a way to put in a series of points using their X,Y,Z coordinates? Someone asked me to place them in so they can see how a > tube is bent for inspection. I don't have training in Inventor (just a lessons book). I have experience in CATIA V4 and some Pro E > training. In CATIA I could do it in a few minutes. In Inventor I don't have a clue. I found some function for "work points" put it > didn't allow me to put in the coordinates. CATIA allowed me to put them in 3D space and just run lines from "point to point".
Distinguished Contributor
JDMATHER
Message 3 of 4 (65 Views)

02-24-2005 08:36 AM in reply to: Zomby Woof
Zomby,
I would use Bob's add-in as he suggested. I just tried it out yesterday with a spreadsheet of over 700 points. Works like a charm.
Active Contributor
Zomby Woof
Message 4 of 4 (65 Views)

02-24-2005 08:46 AM in reply to: Zomby Woof
I'll have to try it out later. But I only had about 6 points. But that's a nice feature that you can bring it in from an Excel sread sheet.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube