Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing to Content Center

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
tommy.bus
812 Views, 23 Replies

Publishing to Content Center

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to publish an assembly to the content center?

Dell Precision T3500
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3530 @2.8GHz
ATI FIrePRo V5800 (FireGL V)
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
cwhetten
in reply to: tommy.bus

Maybe a single-project approach would be better for you.  You would basically have your project file (IPJ) stored in the highest-level folder, so that its scope would encompass every design that you are working on, including the folder that contains your master assembly.

This way, you can reuse your master assembly in multiple other assemblies.  It would just be another set of files in the same project, so Inventor can find it easily and you can also make edits whenever you need to without switching projects.

This really is a great way to set up projects.  We have been doing it this way for years, and it really smooths out most of the file management issues that come with using Inventor.  I know this approach doesn't work for everybody, but it's worth looking into.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 22 of 24
tommy.bus
in reply to: cwhetten

Cameron, I just came across a post that mentioned that.  I set up a new master project and pointed it to our server (where we keep all of our projects and files).  So far, it seems to do exactly what I need it to do.  If I right click and edit on an inserted sub-assembly, I no longer get the error message and everything updates as it should.    Is there anything I need to watch out for doing it in this manner?

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 23 of 24
cwhetten
in reply to: tommy.bus

Without seeing your folder structure, it's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you're on the right track.  The only tricky area might be setting up library paths.  But it doesn't sound like you're using a library, and you probably just have your content center files going to the default path, so that should be adequate.

Most of the information I could find regarding using a single project file was about using Vault.  But I did find this document describing how project files work.  It's 10 years old, and some things may have changed since then, but most of it is still valid.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 24 of 24
tommy.bus
in reply to: cwhetten

Pretty funny.  I stumbled across this article a few minutes ago:

http://www.design-excellence.com/AU2007/MA401-1.pdf  (very similar to what you sent)

Here's how my file structure was for Autocad:

- Native Files

- General Arrangement

- Job

- Master Files

- Working

- Final

- Plot Archive

- Obsolete

- Mechanical

- Job

- Master Files

- Working

- Final

- Plot Archive

- Obsolete

It seems that by using a single project file and pointing to my Native Files folder, I can essentially keep the same folder structure and workflow.

I really appreciate the input.  I'm going to mark this as a solution.....

Thanks.

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report