Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish to manufacturing methods

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
terje.antonsen
386 Views, 8 Replies

Publish to manufacturing methods

Hi,

I am really curious to the best way possible to present drawings in a poroduct to the end-user/manufacturer.

I was hoping as many as possible of you could tell of your method/routine in your field.

Our method as of now, I think it's too hard to get an overview of the structure of the product with all its levels.

We do it like this:  all part and assembly .idw's are printed and signed. then scanned and put into one pdf we call technical file. in the pdf, we use bookmarks for sorting into four main categories: purchased, manufacturing, assembly, and fitting kits. in addition we have other things, lik einstalation manual. the minus of this is that, when you are viewing one part, you cannot tell what assembly it is to be included in. in  production area, they  have small stations with ability to read these pdf's.

Please tell of your method of publishing to production.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Depending on your industry the methods can change but we have a simple approach that I think should help.

It’s enforced and managed by Autodesk Vault with the following stages

Work In Progress - The design team designs the product, makes appropriate assembly’s and required drawings

For Review- the QC and new products mangers have to okay the design. Any issues it goes back to work in progress.

This includes a first off check to make sure the manufacturing process is okay

Released- The design is released to manufacturing

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 3 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: chrisrodway

Vault all the way.  We have Vault Professional and use the Item Master as our document manager.  All drawings of our designs are assigned items, and the lifecycle is controlled through Vault with a Lifecycle watermark applied to all drawings.  Using either Vault client or the Web Client, anyone can look up a drawing and will always get the most recent version and revision, clearly marked with a watermark indicating it's current status.  No parts can be made or ordered to rpints not marked as Approved.  We also recently started using the Vault ECO system to track and document changes.

Message 4 of 9
Paul-Mason
in reply to: terje.antonsen

Why are you MANUALLY signing and not making use of thei properties in the drawing environment?

Using the iproperties would save time and do away with the need to scan the documents to PDF, this way, using iproperties, you can export to PDF file for each idw then by using adobe acrobat pro these files can easily be merged/combine in to one PFD file.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 5 of 9

Which property field is that? "Approved by?" My boss wants to review and sign the drawings for approval. Is there a way to use a digital ID for him to be the only one able to approve? Or do you mean for the digital version only, and archive the signed original?

At the time, we don' have vault installed, as we mostly have single user projects. BUT recently we have a big multi-user project, 3-4 users. And we have to use individual LOD to not interfere with eachother. A real hassle.but our inventor vendor did not recommend switching to vault mid-project. Others with experience on that?
Message 6 of 9

In iProperties for each part you can have a design state and what department has approved the design. (With an approval date)

It can be found in iProperties under the project tab

2.jpg

1.jpg

These properties can be put onto a standard drawing boarder.

So the approval stages are on the drawing and shows who has and hasn’t sign off the design.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, that is very clear. So you as the engineer set these as checked?

or do the different departments have to do it in vault? 

Message 8 of 9

Yes as the product is designed these sets are checked

We used to manually do this and about six months ago upgraded to vault. The vault lifecycle manages this for us automatically now. Much easier but does cost quite a lot because we got a new sever for vault.

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 9 of 9
chrisrodway
in reply to: chrisrodway

And sorry the I properties your after are under status tab not the project tab as I stated earlier

My bad!!

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report