Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project file reverting to Default???

79 REPLIES 79
Message 1 of 80
pdnm1
3677 Views, 79 Replies

Project file reverting to Default???

Has anyone even seen Inventor randomly reset a users project file from whatever it's set at to Default?

I have a couple of users here that for whatever reason have a habit of closing out Inventor everytime they want to close out one file and open another...yes, if they work on 10 files in one day, they've opened and closed Inventor 10 times...i.e. open, close, open, close, etc.

I've seen the project file reset happen on thier stations only thusfar.
Anyone else see this happening?

Inventor 2010
79 REPLIES 79
Message 61 of 80
gerhick
in reply to: swalton

From what I understand, Inventor should write to all the registry entries upon closing. So anything that changes while you have the program open will be rectified when you close Inventor. Simimilarly, if something changes, and Inventor crashes (not that it ever will... Right?) your registry settings WON'T be restored, and when you start Inventor next time, it'll may have settings botched, like this project file...

If I'm right, you can check your registry from time to time by clicking Start > Run and entering 'Regedit' and pressing 'OK'. Once in registry editor, navigate to these keys and check the values.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\External References\Path File
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\FileDialog\LastProjectFile

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-302069814-1549080342-620655208-23595\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\External References\Path File
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-302069814-1549080342-620655208-23595\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\FileDialog\LastProjectFile

The bits I've crossed out will almost certainly vary on your PCs, so you might have to search for them.

Hope this helps.

PointZero Design and Drafting
Message 62 of 80
kprom
in reply to: gerhick

Not sure what your getting at, but all mine list the correct Vault project.  Still had the problem this morning.

Message 63 of 80
gerhick
in reply to: kprom

Did you check the registry after finding that the project file had reset to default? I'd be suprised if the registry was correct, but Inventor was wrong.

Cheers

Message 64 of 80
kprom

Why even check this?  Doesn't sound like a fix at all.

Message 65 of 80
mbodnar

The attached screen shot shows the option that appears to work most of the times, even after a reboot

The only drawback is that when inventor starts, it will start the new from template and create a new file

The other 2 options dont seem to force setting the ipj file

I have also notice Inventor changing the ipj file to some C:\Tem\.......... which I think is the ipj file that Vault commands like copy design create and use

Message 66 of 80
gerhick
in reply to: mbodnar

kprom: It's not a solution, it's part of the troublshooting. You don't have to check anything, it's just a suggestion.

mbodnar: I thought the same thing regarding copy design etc, because afaik, Copy design uses something like the apprentice server to carry out the changes which I'm assuming uses a project file just the same as Inventor. However a number of users here reported the problems without ever doing a copy design.

Message 67 of 80
mbodnar

gerhick

I think the apprentice sets this temp ipj file not only when and after using copy design, but also after rename, move, etc

Are you able to share the script you mentioned in your earlier post that might help with forcing the setting of the ipj file thru the registries I assume?

Cheers

Max B

Message 68 of 80
gerhick

mbodnar - I've attached the script file, but be warned, don't use it if you don't understand it. Save it somewhere save, then right click and select 'edit'. you'll need to add your project file name and path to the top where indicated. Given that we're messing with the registry, the script saves a backup .reg file to your c:\temp location before making changes incase things go bad. I'll be honest, it's quite a crude way of doing it, I'll review it when I can find the time, but I used a slightly more complicated one to set the VBA project as well and do a few other things so it SHOULD work.

The basic steps it runs through are:

Kill Inventor

Backup Registry Keys

Edit Registry

Run Inventor

As with all free stuff, I don't accept any responsibility use at your own risk.

Hope you find it useful, If you have any feedback please let me know.

Message 69 of 80
mbodnar

gerhick, I understand completely, thanks for sharing the script

Cheers

Max B

Message 70 of 80
talberta

Has Autodesk found a solution to this yet?

Message 71 of 80
shastu
in reply to: talberta

Hey all.  I found a soluton or at least it worked on the two machines that I was seeing this problem on. All I did was go and rename the Default.ipj file temporarily.  Then I opened Inventor and it gave me some error message saying that it couldn't find the default.ipj file.  Click OK to that.  Then I set it to the project file I actually want and close down Inventor.  The very next time I open Inventor it goes to that same project file that it is suppose to go to.  Then after I have opened and closed Invnetor and it is working correctly I went and changed the Default.ipj back and it still didn't go back to the Default from then on.

Message 72 of 80
Andrew_Mayman
in reply to: shastu

Not sure if this has been solved yet as i've not read through the previous 70 odd posts, Smiley Indifferent

but i came across a similar problem earlier today with one of the new users in the office.

solved it by turning off the start up action in settings which had "new from template" selected, "Default.ipj" being the default project file...

hope I'm not repeating whats already been said..

Andrew.

Xeon E5-1620 v3 @3.50GHz
32Gb
Quadro K4200 (375.86)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it
Message 73 of 80
kprom
in reply to: pdnm1

Still having this problem here, after changing the default project.  Also I've noticed that you are unable to open directly from Vault explorer after this problem occurs, even after changing the project  back to the vault project.

Message 74 of 80
CAD-One

Guys here is a possible solution. Well actually a work around (I think).
But not sure if you guys agree with this.

I delete the inventor shortcuts from my desktop and start menus.
Instead, I now create a shortcut for my vault-ipj file. From now on every time I double click this new ipj shortcut, it starts inventor with the right project file active.

Do you guys see any problem with this approach?
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 75 of 80
phil-mcam

I am getting reports of this too. It's been a while on this post, so either an interim solution is working for some of these posters, or they've grown accustomed to dealing with it.  I like the start with ipj solution if it works. Anyone want to report a good result?

Message 76 of 80
cwhetten
in reply to: phil-mcam

I had not experienced this problem for quite a while, but suddenly it started happening again the last couple of days.  I haven't tried launching from the IPJ file, because I haven't seen it in a while, but if this new spate keeps up, I might have to try it.

Message 77 of 80
jletcher

Is your Start-up action turned on. I have not read all post so if it was mention already sorry. But if that is on it will default to the project in that.

Message 78 of 80
phil-mcam

My customer is using Vault so he's going to use the shortcut to ipj method. I teach this to my night school students too, to start Inventor with their own project file on their own thumb drive. Works great.

Personally I use too many projects to ever start Inventor without checking which project is running the show. Pretty much every design session starts with "where am I working today?"

Message 79 of 80
l.oosterveen
in reply to: cwhetten

Hi Gerrard,

Can you send me the batch file too?

We have this issue also on several machines.

Best regards,

Lambertus

Message 80 of 80
tyme2par4

I have a few users that have been experiencing the same problem. My solution was to go to the properties of the Inventor shortcut and change the target to the project file (.ipj). This way you still have the same Inventor shortcut, but it opens from the project file. You can do it both on a desktop shortcut and in the start menu.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report