Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project file reverting to Default???

79 REPLIES 79
Message 1 of 80
pdnm1
3675 Views, 79 Replies

Project file reverting to Default???

Has anyone even seen Inventor randomly reset a users project file from whatever it's set at to Default?

I have a couple of users here that for whatever reason have a habit of closing out Inventor everytime they want to close out one file and open another...yes, if they work on 10 files in one day, they've opened and closed Inventor 10 times...i.e. open, close, open, close, etc.

I've seen the project file reset happen on thier stations only thusfar.
Anyone else see this happening?

Inventor 2010
79 REPLIES 79
Message 41 of 80
KobusE
in reply to: pdnm1

I have the same problem, have not seen or heard from other users in the company as I work on-site, but as stated it happens when I start IV first time in the morning or have to quit for some reason and restart it.

Kobus

Inventor 2011 Pro

Windows 7 64bit

4 Gig Ram

500 mB Nvidia

Message 42 of 80
michaeldavis7418
in reply to: mthomas

All have Power User rights or better

1 session of IV is running at a time. It usually happens when you close down IV, come back and start it and the IPJ reverts back to the Default.ipj

I'm talking to others I know up in Michigan who are seeing this as well, but aren't on the IV boards.

M

Michael Davis
Charlotte, NC

Work ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit ~ i7 20gb
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Home ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit i7 - 16gb
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB
240g Kingston HyperX SSD
Message 43 of 80

This sounds like Inventor is unable to find the selected and stored ipj, so it's reverting to the Default. I'd look at where and how the IPJ .lnk files are being stored and used.

I'm still unable to duplicate this issue on my systems or customer systems.  I've tested on WinXP-32, WinXP-64, Win7-64 and Vista-32.

How many of you are storing the IPJ files on a server or different computer?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 44 of 80
KobusE
in reply to: KobusE

Hi Dennis,

We are a small group doing site as-built working, using Inventor to model as we go along.  We have created a local Vault, running on my pc, linked through a local hub.  All three IV installations are doing the same thing. 

1. We set the working folder (through Vault) as C:\Working Folder\[Project number/name]

2. All pc's are running on Windows 7 64 bit, 4 Gig Ram, 256 Mb Nvidia cards, IV 2011 Professional

3. Our ipj files does not disappear, all that happens is that the project defaults to the "Default" project when you restart IV - you do not need to reboot the machine.

4. Vault operates correctly, all the machines can access it, check in, check out, etc. without a problem.

Hope this sheds more light on the problem.

Regards

Kobus

Message 45 of 80
michaeldavis7418

This is only on the Windows 7/64 bit pc's ....

Michael Davis
Charlotte, NC

Win 7 64bit ~ i7 20gb
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Win 7 64bit i7 - 16gb
240g Kingston HyperX SSD
Message 46 of 80
iamerm

We continue to experience the same issue.  As mentioned by others, the project defaults to the "Default" project when IV is restarted or when the computer is restarted.  For us, it's not consistent - it seems random, although frequent.  I suppose we'll have to get into the habit of setting our project file before we start working.

Also, for us, this only happens on Windows 7 64 bit machines.  We have not changed our setup in any way from previous installations.  It just started to happen to each user as we gradually upgraded our machines.

Message 47 of 80
michaeldavis7418
in reply to: mthomas

Exactly, it's completely random. This morning 2 out of 4 pc's in the room reverted back to the default IPJ.

Curious if this is just a W7/64 bit issue

Michael Davis
Charlotte, NC

Win 7 64bit ~ i7 20gb
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Win 7 64bit i7 - 16gb
240g Kingston HyperX SSD
Message 48 of 80
Dennis_Jeffrey

I'm not saying that they dissapear completely. However, they may appear "gone" to Inventor, if the  network card is in a "sleep" mode. As I've been unable to duplicate this issue, I'm having to grasp at straws, looking outside the box.  It might be an area to investigate

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 49 of 80
belmore

Our project file on each of our machines is located on the local hard drive: C:\1_Vault_Local\Engineer.ipj. Windows 7 64. Vault is on it's own dedicated server. Inventor 2011 will at times revert back to the default project file, random.

Brent Elmore

Banjo Corporation

Message 50 of 80
kprom
in reply to: pdnm1

We are experiencing this problem as well.  Also, possibly related, our application options are randomly changed or reset.  One user experiences a daily reset of his application options.  Our project is local and a shared Vault project. C:/Work/Designs/

Inventor 2011 64bit

Message 51 of 80
cwhetten
in reply to: kprom

Add me to the growing list.  It doesn't happen to me very often, but once in a while it will happen.  It appears completely random--at least I can't discern any cause or pattern to it.  We have a dedicated vault server, but of course the project file used by Inventor is stored locally in the working folder.  As was mentioned before, the project file doesn't disappear from the local folder, but suddenly Inventor can't find it and reverts to the default ipj.

Whether it is related or not, I also have trouble with some of my settings reverting.  I haven't had App options reset on me, but once in a while my custom keyboard shortcuts will be erased.  But it is never all of them, just some of them, usually just the commands that have a default shortcut that I don't like so I change it to what I want.  Again, this seems to be random.  I haven't noticed if it happens at the same time as the ipj reversion.  I'll have to investigate.

-cwhetten

IV2011 Professional SP1
Build 535 Subscription Advantage Pack
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Dell T3500, Intel Xeon Duo @2.40 GHz, 6 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800, 768 MB
Driver Ver: 197.85
Dual Monitors, 1280x1024

Message 52 of 80
pdnm1
in reply to: cwhetten

Wow!!!

My how this post has grown since I posted it.

If I might throw a wrench into the machine here.....the machines this was happening to were NOT win7 machines.

They were a mixture of 32 bit and 64 bit machines and all on Vista.

Again, the only common thread these machines had were the users habit of opening and closing Inventor for each file.

Note: I got tired of being taken advantage of and having all the responsibility of a CAD Admin and none of the authority, so I am thankfully no longer working for that company. Currently heading up a new CAD dept where I actually do have authority and have yet to see this issue yet.

Message 53 of 80
KobusE

Good morning,

Our ipj files are also local on each machine, this is a "Get" version from the master one sitting on our Vault.  This does not happen random, it happens every time IV is restarted whether rebooting the pc or just IV.

I have put out an instruction that everyone has to check their project before starting any work - its a nuisance.

Curious to see no reaction from Autodesk yet........do they actually read these posts?

Enjoy your day!

Kobus

Message 54 of 80
blair

The only problem I have with the Projects file, is when I "Save-As" to a different directory outside of the scope of the Projects file (export IPT for post processing such as Burning). When I proceed to open another Inventor file, it has changed my Work directory up one level.

We have a main Inventor Directory, then inside it is all our "Project" directories, very strange and always reproducible. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 55 of 80
cwhetten

My ipj reverted to default just this morning as I first started up Inventor.  I had not shut off the computer or restarted it since last night, I usually just log out and leave the machine running.

I checked to see if my keyboard shortcuts had also reset, but they are still set up the way I like them.  So it doesn't appear to be related to the project file reverting to default.

-cwhetten

Message 56 of 80
KobusE

I think the problem might have been solved.  Try this:

Under "Application Options" click on the "General" tab.  Set your "Start up action" to the correct project. Click on "Apply" and it should fix it, it has in my case (well so far, we'll see tomorrow)

Regards

Kobus

Message 57 of 80
gerhick

I can suggest a work around for those who can't find other solutions. I've written a batch file that can update the relevant keys in the registry with the correct project file name, and then start Inventor once it's done. So you basically replace your inventor shortcut with this batch file, and it'll start with the correct project file every time (unless Inventor is resetting the project file on start up)

I realise it's a bandaid fix, and won't be for everyone, but if you're loosing significant time as a result of the problem, then let me know, I'll do what I can to help.

Cheers

PointZero Design and Drafting
Message 58 of 80
mbodnar
in reply to: gerhick

Hi

I would be interested in the script you mentioned if you are happy to share it.

We have only had luck with setting the Tools/Application option to the required ipj file and have the option of open dialog when Inventor starts. We also tried without it but still reverts back to default and it only appears to happen when rebooting machine/s. Windows 7, 64bit

Max B

Message 59 of 80
swalton

Add me to the list.  IV 2011, Vault Collaboration 2011, all service packs.  Win7 64bit.

I see the error the day after I do a copy-design in vault.  When I navigate back to pick my vault ipj, I get an error that a ipj file in a temp directory can't be found.  Next time I get the error I will post it.

I think that the copy design resets the ipj path and it does not get set back to the correct path when I close IV for the day.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 60 of 80
kprom

This dialog is greyed out unless you choose new from template, are you saying to have it make a new drawing everytime for no reason, or to check it, change the project, then un-check it?  Because the latter does not work.

thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report