Inventor General

Valued Contributor
Message 1 of 6 (143 Views)

Project cut edges error

143 Views, 5 Replies
07-09-2012 07:03 AM

Hi,

I found a weird thing with the command 'Project Cut Edges'. I'll explain what I did. I made a new part and added a derived part. This derived part consists of 2 beams (see top left picture in attachment) (these beams are NOT Content Center parts, but I drew the beams myself, so it would be the same if I drew just rectangles as beams). The beams are at a specified distance of each other (see top right picture in attachment). I added a sketch on the YZ Plane and clicked on 'Project Cut Edges' (see bottom left picture in attachment). I added a rectangle and extruded the rectangle. But if I click on the 'Project Cut Edges' item in the browser under Sketch (or I open the Sketch), not all the lines are there anymore. And if I make the distance between the beams smaller, the lines get shorter too (and vice versa).

What is wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Dominiek

Mentor
CAD-One
Message 2 of 6 (120 Views)

Re: Project cut edges error

07-10-2012 04:40 AM in reply to: dominiekvanwest
You are trying to cut material off of surfaces. Try this. Rmb derived part and click edit. I see currently you have surfaces mode. So, select solid instead.Hit ok. You extrude should work now.

C1
Inventor Professional 2013
Vault Collaboration 2013
Valued Contributor
Message 3 of 6 (110 Views)

07-10-2012 05:12 AM in reply to: CAD-One

Hi,

I do not want to cut anything, it's just an extrusion of a rectangle (I needed a feature to show the problem).

The problem stays the same when I change surface to solid.

*Pro
jletcher
Message 4 of 6 (106 Views)

07-10-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: dominiekvanwest

This has been an issue for a very long time sometimes it works other times it don't most don't.. I stay away from it I just project the edges and stay away from project cut edge. I know this don't help. But just maybe just maybe in release 2050 it will be fixed.....................

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
Valued Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (100 Views)

07-10-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: jletcher

Thanks for the reply!

In the meantime I already did what you suggest, just project the edges myself (with project geometry) instead of using project cut edges. It works for now, but of course I would like the project cut edges to work correctly.

*Pro
jletcher
Message 6 of 6 (95 Views)

07-10-2012 06:11 AM in reply to: dominiekvanwest

Yes I agree it should work. But to let you know when it did work I found issues with performance...

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube