Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Design Suite 2015

209 REPLIES 209
Message 1 of 210
jdits7
9952 Views, 209 Replies

Product Design Suite 2015

Here are some of the details about Product Design Suite 2015.

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2014/03/product-design-suite-2015.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
209 REPLIES 209
Message 201 of 210
luisantonio
in reply to: jannaspicer

Thanks for your concern and reply Janna,

I really think Autodesk as whole is asking themselves the wrong questions when it comes to Licensing & Suites. It would seem that Autodesk has taken the apporach that CIP data is reflective of what everyone truly wants; but that is a phalicy. I may have very good reasons to use a product like sketchbook designer; but I may go for months without using it, because my current taks and stradegy do not call for it. However; that does not mean that I do not Count on a tool being there *When I Need It*!!!

I get tired of Autodesk trying to hap hazardly group software titles together; in an effort to appease everyone. The truth is that Each user who buys a suite like Product Design Suite; or Building Design Suite, etc; likely comes from a unique background with diverse experince. I for instance attended the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI. Which has a big emphasis on the Automotive Sector. As a result I was taught to use Alias, and I am glad I was. It is a steep learning curve; but once you learn it it is invaluable. I also learned another non Autodesk (gasp) software title while in college; called Form-Z. This (along with my hard work & General design sensibilities) actually got me an internship as an Exhibit Designer, and later a job as an Exhibit Design Consultant after graduating. Then I eventually went on to work at a Automotive Prototype Stamping Facility; which was much more in the realm of Alias type surfacing work, etc.

My point with all of this; is that many like myself have worked in more than one industry and used different Software and workflows at different times. So it would seem that it would be much better to allow users like myself to get a licensing model that reflects how I truly use the software. My suggestion would be to give different levels of Programs that a person could bundle to be Use anytime/All-the-time. So lets say the base level would allow 3-4 programs; the mid level 5-6, Highest 7-8. Now these programs would be the "Always installed on my machine, and ready to be used at any time tiltes. Then I would suggest that there be flexible licensing for software that is used very sparsley; for me these would include AutoCAD (all 3 zillion variations), 3DS Max, Revit, etc. But Like I said this is 'my prefernece" which I am sure is not everyone elses's.

The Tiltles I would want to bundle as always available: Inventor Professional, Alias Design, Showcase, Sketchbook Pro/Designer & Inventor Publisher. As these reflect the creative workflow that I employ as a Creative Designer and not really an "Engineer" (though honestly it can sometimes be hard to differentiate; since working with Engineers rubs off eventually.)

The flexible Licensing I envision; is that if I did a project that required me to import files or dabble in another program because others are using a software title I usually don't; I would be granted access either by the day, the week, or month; based on the forcasted needs at that time. (Defined by me.) Though I expect to pay a higher price to keep software that I intend to use continuously without interruptions or at least have ready to use at a moments notice. This would also help to keep the install footprint of Autodesk to a much more tolerable size than it is currently.

When I see Adobe move their complete linup to become available through a very reasonable subscription model which uses offline programs; I have to wonder why Autodesk Subscriptions are soo expensive and I am forced to purchase and maintain many software titles that I rarely if ever use. But again; the ones "I use" are likely the one's "other's" don't use. I really think more people would be interested in purchasing software, if the terms reflected how they actually use it. Another thought I had about the flexible licensing was that if a person needed to swap out a mainstay program for another, (possibly because a certain project requires it), they should be able to swap titles. What I would expect in this type of setup would be that when you trade one in; it cannot be used until swapped again.

Autodesk's Porfolio of Software is impressive; and there are many benefits to be had by those who use it. Though it is a bit presumptous to assume that users will learn to competently use all the software available to them. Most will gravitate mainly towards a select few that will allow them to shine within the knowledge, skills, and work environment that they find themselves in. (Which can be VERY Broad.)

Message 202 of 210
mcolinp
in reply to: luisantonio

I agree, Flexible Licensing is essential in today's economy & work environment. There needs to be options; and options for consumers usually equates to more conusmers, and happier ones too. (That come back for more.)

I also use Sketchbook designer; and am also dissapointed in the decision by Autodesk to abandon it completely. I really don't expect any new features & I am happy with it as it is. Though it seems a bit drastic to completely remove the use of it all together. Could they not just include it with Alias Design? Considering it was originally based on Alias technology. I would not mind if they were planning to implement some "Vector" workflows or features into Sketchbook Pro; but that is highly unlikely, and they have not indicated anything to hint that is the case.

Kind of a sting as well when they include "Sketchbook Pro" in the installer for Alias; only to find out that your Suite License will not work with it.

Message 203 of 210
nike_bytom
in reply to: mcolinp

Hi all, 

I was going to download showcase 2015 from my subscription but there is a problem it says file not found.(browser download or Autodesk manager no luck) i can get the patch for it but not the  main file.

Regards

Message 204 of 210
blair
in reply to: nike_bytom

If it's not showing in your downloads inside the Product Design Suite, then I would log a support call and have them look at your account.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 205 of 210
jdm308

Maybe you could download it from the Free Trial page, and then use your lisense number to validate it.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/showcase/free-trial

Message 206 of 210
nike_bytom
in reply to: jdm308

Did any one try download this file from Trail page or Virtual Agent? I am still getting file not found. 

Regards

P.s its showing in my subscription but problem is the same file not found

Message 207 of 210
blair

There was talk of some updates/upgrades to all for the "immersive" technology that allows for automatic part updates if you use the Product Design Suite window (same as with 2014). Currently Showcase is a standalone product. I know that Inventor Publisher 2015 was just released last week.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 208 of 210
royden.chick

Hi nike_bytom,

I am unable to reproduce your problem accessing Showcase 2015 from the link shown in the attached image. (I get the Download Manager and application just fine.) There is either an issue with your account, in which case you'll need to contact your reseller or Support, or I am not attempting the same download you are. Can you post an image of your Subscription page and the download link? Sorry I can't be of more help immediately, but we'll figure this out...

Thanks,

-Roy

Roy Chick
QA - DLS Release Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 209 of 210
royden.chick

We HAVE now been able to reproduce both these behaviors in-house now and will have them rectified as soon as possible.

Please try the downloads again sometime very early next week. Sorry for the inconvenience but thank you for letting us know!

Sincerely,

-Roy

Roy Chick
QA - DLS Release Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 210 of 210
royden.chick

Hey,

We have found and rectified the problem.

Please let us know if you run into any other issues!

Thanks,

-Roy

Roy Chick
QA - DLS Release Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report