Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Design Suite 2015 Download Links

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
scottmoyse
5746 Views, 24 Replies

Product Design Suite 2015 Download Links

2015 Suite downloads are available now

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
mcgyvr
in reply to: scottmoyse

@scottmoyse wrote:
Within the context of the sketch environment they are yes. I would have killed to have had those tools in my previous job. Relax mode just saves you time, it's not got anything to do with a level of expertise. Have you sat down and used the new sketch environment yet? You chose to use the word 'seems' which indicates to me that you are making assumptions based on the bee in your bonnet. Take a step back, chill out & try it.

I showed the T-Splines to a customer today, I was completely honest about it's limitations and he is chomping at the bit, he wants it now. I showed another customer the Sheet Metal Cut Normal feature the other day and he was stoked it's finally in the product as well. It may not be for you (although I still can't believe you will feel the same way about the sketch improvements once you have used them for a few days), but this release is a big deal for a lot of people.

What about Express Mode being enabled in the drawing environment? Does that help you, I'm not fussed about that one, I wasnt last year. But it has a huge impact on a lot of companies.

Obviously we all have different jobs/fields,etc... Some features are needed by some fields and some for others.. There is very little in this release that "I" specifically need.. No bee in my bonnet.. no need to chill (or go into relax mode Smiley Very Happy ).. Its just the new features there aren't of much use to "me".. 

I'm sure SM cut normal is a GREAT feature for those of you heavily involved in the sheet metal world.. And while I do produce easily a few hundred sheet metal parts each year I have gotten by just fine without cut normal and can't see how it would do anything to improve my current parts/designs,etc... 

express mode.. Don't need it.. As is right now I spend very little time in the 2d drawing environment .. I don't do 2d drawings for assembly personel as I've transitioned us to a visual work instruction program and as such NO 2d drawings are ever created for any internal product we make/assembly.. Snapshots are taken directly from the 3d model and away I go. If 3d PMI was available now I would not have to do a single 2d drawing for the rest of my life.. The ONLY thing I do in the idw environment now is a very basic drawing of our sheet metal parts that is used ONLY for the initial quotation process and to hold notes like finish specs,etc.. that I can't currently include in the 3d model.. All sheetmetal programming at our vendors is accomplished with the step files I send.. Heck I could just send an email with finish specs/tolerances,etc.. and the step file and that would work just fine too..

And yes as to relax mode I used "seems" to imply that I haven't spent much if any time using the new tools yet.. I was in the beta..saw what was being introduced and this year didn't have time to stick around bug finding with you guys on features I didn't need.  Maybe relax mode is a great tool..maybe I might use it.. But as it is right now I am able to sketch just fine and just as fast as anything else. So yes nothing really "excites" me this year..

Now some improvements to the cable/harness environment or 3d PMI and I'd be jumping for joy.. But they aren't there.. As it stands Inventor 2010 maybe is all the inventor I need.. I skipped 2013 and finally loaded 2014 a little while back and am STILL recovering from the new materials/appearance change.. I should have just stayed on 2012.. 

The ONLY thing I will load 2015 for is in hopes that they fixed the raytracing/rendering problems that plagued 2014.. I do quite a few renderings each year to send to customers during the design phase,etc... white speckles all over isn't acceptable. 

edit...

Actually going back to the whats new document I do see one thing and I'm fairly sure I submitted that wishlist item YEARS ago.. 

"Use a Window to select points to place punch"... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 22 of 25
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Obviously I use the sketch environment.. Relax mode seems like a tools for new users who don't understand how constraints/sketches work well enough to manage/modify them on their own..

Hardly "massive productivity tools".. Your definition of "massive" must be "massively" different from mine. 

Oh, relax mode will be a massive help for me.  Ever since 2011, holding down CTRL while clicking to lay down sketch geometry does NOT prevent constraints from automatically forming.  No idea why.  Haven't seen anyone else complaining about it.  It's been the same problem for me in 2011, -12, -13, -14 and the -15 beta.  Same problem on 5 different computers, using 8 different keyboards and 2 different Spacepilots. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 23 of 25
mcgyvr
in reply to: LT.Rusty

In my whole Inventor life (7+ years I think) I bet I've only needed to delete 50 or so sketch constraints so maybe 150 seconds of my life.. Guess I'm just lucky.. or really good Smiley Very Happy 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 24 of 25
LT.Rusty

You are lucky.  I have to delete sketch constraints at least 50 times per day.  Holding down CTRL stops some of them, but not all.  If I'm making a 4-sided shape that's roughly a trapezoid, I'll lay down my lines in all sorts of crazy directions while holding CTRL, and then I'll find that 3 out of 4 of them still have parallel / perpendicular / horizontal / vertical assigned.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 25 of 25
scottmoyse

I assume you don't work as part of a team then? The kind where work inevitably gets spread about and you have to deal with other users lack of training or bad habits.

Regards
Scott Moyse

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report