Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Loft :(

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
bhanukiranss
891 Views, 16 Replies

Problem with Loft :(

Hi All

I am currently converting, Catia Models to Inventor models. Iam facing serious problems in matching the profiles expecially in loft areas. Attached is the file where there was a mismatch with loft features. Some body can help me in solving the problem.

Bhanu....

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
-niels-
in reply to: bhanukiranss

I'm not sure i can help you, but i did notice that the translation report said there was an error:
Severity   Entity Id   Message
Warning   51          Some Surfaces have been truncated

So are you sure your imported model is correct?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 17
bhanukiranss
in reply to: -niels-

To make sure, myself i improted once again , but it was still having the same translated report. And when i overlap Catia file and converted file in Catia V5 they both are matching.

So, importing is not a problem.

Bhanu....

Message 4 of 17
-niels-

Ok, if they remain the same in catia then i guess the shape should be correct...
ehm... you did the overlapping loft by using geometry from your catia model, is it possible to recreate the loft in in inventor from scratch and overlap that with your catia model?
i'm just wondering if inventor really solves the loft differently or if it has something to do with the projected geometry in the 3d sketches.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 17
bhanukiranss
in reply to: -niels-

ya, i tried to do in that way also, i created new sketches in inventor but there are not really useful to match the profile. I think in Catia there was an option where we can select the section parallel to a plane, but i think in inventor we are not able to do it so (Even that option is not highligthing in conditions Tab).

attached is snap shot of catia Loft

Bhanu...

Message 6 of 17
-niels-

Strange, if i try to make the same loft with 2d sketches instead of your 3d sketches i can't even get it to create the loft...
Maybe you could manipulate the loft by turning of the automatic mapping on the "transition" tab.
Sorry i can't be of more help, i'm still guessing it has something to do with the 3d sketch geometry but i'm unsure how to solve it.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 17
JDMather

@bhanukiranss wrote:

I am currently converting, Catia Models to Inventor models.

Why do you need it as a native Inventor feature?  Is it not correct from Catia?

Can't you simple convert to a solid in Inventor or do you need to edit the Loft?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
bhanukiranss
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD For future purpose, all companies (Iam working in a service Industry) want to convert their dummy solid models which are converted from other software's to native parametric models in Inventor. This is a part of that project. Bhanu...
Message 9 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! The two products are using two different ways to compute loft surfaces. One can argue that if you bring the same sections from Inventor to Catia, the loft would look different there too. It depends on how one CAD software maps the sections and define the smooth surface across the sections. There are assumptions made by each software to make the loft work The assumptions may not be the same.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 17
bhanukiranss
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi John

You are correct, but we have to admit that some thing which was already in production cannot be changed now, Those parts are made with catia and now they want to change something in model and that cannot be done in inventor.

The one thing which i dont understand is, why cannot we loft a sketch parallel to a plane , in the same way how we are doing for sweep. If we can do it, i think we can solve this problem to maximum extent.

The main problem is, in conditions parallel to plane option is not at all being highligted for this part...

Bhanu......

Message 11 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! I must have misunderstood the issue then. I am not sure what you meant by parallel sketches cannot be lofted. I thought the sketches are all paralleled and they can be lofted but the shape looks different from its original design. Is it true?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 17
bhanukiranss

To Give more clarity on my thinking why they are not matching, i made a presentation and same is attached to this.

Hope some body will help me

Message 13 of 17
JDMather

Can you post image of the actual part?

I don't mean to "muddy the water", but the Catia part doesn't look like "good geometry" that I would be trying to match.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
bhanukiranss
in reply to: JDMather

Actual part is a core and yes i have checked actual part and catia model are matching with each other. It is because the fact that this is the model which was used for making Patterns at foundry.

Message 15 of 17
JDMather

Ahh, now that I know the part shown is a core it makes more sense.

If I get time I will try to see what I can do to accurately reproduce the geometry.

I didn't think the tangency looked right in this area, but know what is thereTangency.PNG

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think you might be looking for "Area Loft" (3rd type of Loft). You will need a centerline rail going across sections. You can specify the section area at any given point on the rail. Could you take a look?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 17
bhanukiranss
in reply to: johnsonshiue

i JD

It will be great if you can help me in finding a possible solution for this problem, because there are lot of models in the same way.

Hi John

Yes i tried to change the are in area loft . But it was not yielding any result for my problem.

Bhanu...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report