Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Bend

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sohmoh
679 Views, 5 Replies

Problem with Bend

Hi boys,

I have a problim with Bend command. see attached pic. please.

And when I had a normal bar, not coiled, it work excelent. but when I have a coil and want to bend it, I got error.

I try many values, same fail. 😞

Help please.

Thanks

Sohaib

Coil issue.PNG

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
swhite
in reply to: sohmoh

Besides trying to make it a dervied part and bending it, I don't know offhand anyway to make that work, and am not sure if making it a dervied part will even work. Too many changes in direction and surfaces for inventor to figure out a solution at the bend point I expect. This is why it works on a simple circular shape, but not multiple twisting circular shapes. But you might try deriving it into a one part piece and see if Inventor can figure out a solution.

Except maybe using a line that follows the path you want it to take as your center for the coil to begin with perhaps.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
sohmoh
in reply to: swhite

Steven,

Thanks for the option, but how I dereving it to one part pice, please?

Thank you in advance.

Message 4 of 6
kwilson_design
in reply to: sohmoh

Hi sohmoh,

Inventor can bend coiled features. However I have seen it more reliable in producting results if you coil only one circle in the sketch, use circular pattern for the coil feature, then bend the circular pattern rather than the coil itself.

Regardless attached is a sample part file using the same method you are using to show it can work without the use of derive part file.

bent coil.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 5 of 6
swhite
in reply to: kwilson_design

Yes, that makes sense, so that in reality you are bending only one part, the other is merely a pattern. And here I have been deriving the multiple coils into a single strand, but hey, got the job done 🙂

And just to answer the IOP's question for a future time when he might need derived parts.

Open a new part, close any sketches and delete them if yoiu wish, they will not be needed.. Go to the Manage tab. On the insert portion thereof you will find Derive. Select that then navigate to the part you want to derive from and select open. The next screen gives you several options. No Seams (combinds all into one part with no visible seams). With seams, still a single solid body, but places visible seams so it will section as if seperate parts, and solid bodies, basically what you already got, but with assemblies it will make a single part file from all the parts. I would select the middle option in this case. Select ok and save as a distibnct name so you know it is a derived part and you are done.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 6 of 6
sohmoh
in reply to: swhite

Kenny,

That was amazing, I don't have more word than " Thank You Very Much"

Steven,

Thank you for your time and sharing too, Appreciated.

I learned something new from both of you. Wish you two best luck.

Sohaib

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report