Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in loft feature

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
tspeed
1814 Views, 12 Replies

Problem in loft feature

Hi all,

I want to use loft feature between two non-parallel sketches. I am not sure about problem in loft creation. I have attached part model with this message. Can anyone help me to overcome this problem ? Sketch 3 is upper profile, 3D Sketch 1 is lower profile and 3D sketch is rail profile.

Look forward to hear back from you guys..

Cheers,

Jagan

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CCarreiras
in reply to: tspeed

Hi!

Tell me, what's the objective? remove one of the part, being the 3d sketch the frontier?

What's your goal?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you! 

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
tspeed
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi CarlosC,

Thanks for your prompt reply. My objective is to remove the material from the top surface upto 3D sketch using loft option. If you would like to suggest any other method, please let me know it.

Thanks for your help and time.

Cheers,
Jagan
Message 4 of 13
CCarreiras

Hi!

Somehow, your 3D sketch is inside the solid and that causes one error. Due to a litle deformation in the surface patch, i think that occurs in the cusp of the solid.

So, what i´ve made was, built a frontier using the 3d bondaries with patch tool.

This frontier is in some point a litle inside of the solid, so i extend it (any value, doesnt matter)

Then use the split solit to cut the portion i don't need, in that case the top portion, and that's it!!!

Take a look at the attached file.

I think you made all good, but sometimes software has these issues.... the important is to know several ways to achieve the same goal... one of them will work.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
tspeed

Hi CarlosC,

Thank you so much for your help and time. Yes, i saw the model and top portion is removed. Now, i got another problem in this model. I want to do below steps

1. Select new sketch on the cut surface

2. Project the geometry of outer boundary

3. offset the projected geometry inwards for 7000 m

4. Later, i will create 3D sketch on another plane below the surface.

5. Now, use loft cut to remove the material inwards.

make sense ? Finally, it will look like a bathtub or pond. Now, i have tried to select the cut surface but doesn't work. It selects the extend feature. Even, i tried to create plane of surface using 3 points creation. But, it doesn't work.

Could you please help me ? If so, i would be grateful to you.

Cheers,

Jagan

Message 6 of 13
CCarreiras

Wait a moment, i'm helping other people, and most of all, i'm trying to understand what you want achieve!!! 🙂
CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
CCarreiras

Hi!

First you cant do a sketch in the surface just because it's not a plane surface, it's kind of a wave, you can only 2D sketch in plane surfaces.

Question: The first objecctive was crate a plane surface?!

Second, why you made the first extrusion, to cut again after?, why don't you sketched the rigth profile in the begining? (But that's ok now... the question is... was a waste of time in my opinion)

Third: what is your goal?, what you want to achieve. I can't help you if i dont understand where you can go.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
tspeed

Hi CarlosC,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, i understood that sketch can be done on planar surface. However, i have tried to create 3D sketch to get the outer boundary. Forget the offset inwards 7000 mm. Please see the attached file. I want to create the cut loft between 3D sketch 3 and 3D Sketch 5 with rail from 3D sketch 6.

I thought of doing this model as mold design concept. That's why, i have created block and started removing the material from the block or box based on requirements.

Please see the attached file and let me know your feedback.

Thanks again for your time and help

Cheers,

Jagan

Message 9 of 13
CCarreiras

Hi!

i think i finally understand what you need. We have to approach that in a different way. Let's work with surfaces to achieve the final solid, because this last 3d sketch is above the first patch tool in some parts (in the left side).

I'm sorry but i had to delete the 3D sketch (the last one).

Can you build it again? don't worry, we are near the end. Smiley Happy

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
tspeed

Hi CarlosC,

Thanks for your help. I have created 3D sketch as per your request. Please check it and help me to get final model in soild.

Cheers,

Jagan

Message 11 of 13
CCarreiras

Hi!

These surfaces struggled a lot toget well stitched, but VOILA!!!

I think this was a little dificult for you, because the program doesnt liked these particulary surfaces...

Ok, file attach, check it! (The file become too big, i w'll sent you by dropbox)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108503790/Model_4.ipt

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
tspeed

Hi CarlosC,

Thank you so much for your help. Model is exactly as per my requirements. I am not sure why it doesn't work with loft feature.

Anyway thanks again

Cheers,
Jagan
Message 13 of 13
CCarreiras

Hi!

Like i said before, the 3D sketch was somehow inside the solid in some places and this was a problem in some operations.

Also, the model is very big, and to stitch the surfaces, i had to use a bigger tolerance (5mm unstead the inventor standard 0,2mm).

Also, is possible to do with loft, but not all at one time. I think the approach we use is more simple and direct (if you remember, we use now a lot less operations), the drawback is, we have to know some tools and processes a little out of "traditional" modeling.

Don't forget to close the case by   Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution  and give some kudos Give Kudos!Kudos - in posts where you learn something, or where do you think that's important stuff to others, i appreciate that, Thanks.

PS: If you want the "core" and "cavity" of the mold, i can now do this for you easely, so, say something if you need it.

Glad to help you.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report