Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem importing sketch

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
starlisa
1005 Views, 11 Replies

Problem importing sketch

I have a logo that I created in Inkscape.  I wanted to import it as a sketch into a part I'm making in Inventor, so I brought the SVG into Illustrator and exported it as a DWG.  When I go to bring the DWG into my part as a sketch, the preview is blank, and nothing gets imported.  I'm attaching the DWG file.  I tried attaching the SVG file as well, but apparently, that's not a valid etension for an attachment, so I added a .TXT suffix.  What am I doing wrong?  TIA.

Tags (4)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
LT.Rusty
in reply to: starlisa

I've opened the .DWG with both Inventor and TrueView (I don't actually have AutoCAD installed on this machine).  In both cases the file appeared to be empty.  There may or may not be anything even in the file?  It's only 6k ...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I don't see anything in the file. It appears blank.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
-niels-

The dwg is empty for me as well.
I tried exporting your svg file from illustrator to dwg, but i can't get that first "N" to export.
(it's just saying "anji"...)

If i get a little more time i might try getting it working, but don't get your hopes up.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 12
-niels-
in reply to: -niels-

Well, i managed to get it all exported to dwg.

Hope this works for you. 😉

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 12
WHolzwarth

I tried importing the whole DWG into an Inventor sketch before, but I think, it's too complicated.

Here's another version. If thickness change for the characters is needed, an easy way is shown at the end of the file for the N character. EOP needs to be moved down, as always.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
-niels-
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Not sure what you think is complicated, guess it's more likely something with the import setting.

I only constrain endpoints, not applying geometric constraints.

Logo's are often too "curvy" for inventor.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 12
starlisa
in reply to: WHolzwarth

When you say "an easy way is shown at the end of the file for the N character", what do you mean?
Message 9 of 12
starlisa

That's brilliant. Can you tell me what you did? You just imported it and it came in? How did you get it exported to dwg? I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.
Message 10 of 12
-niels-

I got it exported to dwg using adobe illustrator, i'm not familiar with Inkscape's exporting capabilities so i can't say if you did anything wrong.
Best way is to try some settings and then opening your dwg in autocad or a compatible viewer.

As for importing, start a sketch and you will see a button named ACAD somewhat near the end to the right, in the "insert" block.
Just hit that and select your dwg, then on the import settings screen make sure that "constrain end points" is checked so you get closed contours.
(like i mentioned i didn't have "apply geometric constraints" checked.)

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 11 of 12
Paul-Mason

Here's your/the logo in both JPG and BMP format try again using it from one of these, both look OK in Paintshop Pro both measured approximately 180mmx35mm

I hope they've attached as IE11 seem somewhat temperamental with attachments.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 12 of 12
WHolzwarth

I've imported the SVG into CorelDraw, set line thickness to zero before saving as DWG. You can see the difference for the N at the upper left. And you see the same thickness for the IPT.

So, if more line thickness for the fonts is needed, this can be done by an outside shell operation. It's faster done than a Thicken by selecting all surrounding faces, and it seems more stable. I've got a crash the other way.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report