Inventor General

Active Contributor
sw_convert
Message 1 of 12 (144 Views)

Print Settings

144 Views, 11 Replies
11-06-2006 07:03 AM
AutoCAD Print Settings is one of the most advanced features in software applications today, but yet Inventor severely lacks that kind of functionality.

Perhaps, I'm just missing something here?

Question 1: Is it possible to save print settings with each .idw file? Currently, Inventor saves your last print setting and that is what it uses for all files; therefore, having to change your settings for each file if the format size is different or you just want to print an area.

Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with Inventor?

Dennis
*Duncan Anderson
Message 2 of 12 (144 Views)

Re: Print Settings

11-06-2006 07:15 AM in reply to: sw_convert
You're taking a big risk using the name "SW_Convert" - but that's your prerogative.

1. No

2. Majority of companies have standards for engineering drawings and therefore all
drawings should be printed the same. I think that's the logic.

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by
fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary
living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs

wrote in message news:5386149@discussion.autodesk.com...
AutoCAD Print Settings is one of the most advanced features in software applications
today, but yet Inventor severely lacks that kind of functionality.

Perhaps, I'm just missing something here?

Question 1: Is it possible to save print settings with each .idw file? Currently,
Inventor saves your last print setting and that is what it uses for all files;
therefore, having to change your settings for each file if the format size is
different or you just want to print an area.

Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of
Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with
Inventor?

Dennis
Active Contributor
sw_convert
Message 3 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 07:21 AM in reply to: sw_convert
Well, SW_Convert was meant in Humor..... being new here, I'm hoping ppl do have somewhat of a sense of humor. I could be wrong!! In any case, I still very much love SW, and have been enjoying IV since I've started using it.

There is many things IV does better and the same in reverse. Currently, I'm used to doing things the way SW has those things setup, so there is a definate learning curve/frustration thing going on. BUT.... This too shall pass! :-)

Thx for your response Duncan!
*Richard Hinterhoeller (AIS 11 SP2)
Message 4 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 07:29 AM in reply to: sw_convert
Dennis:

I won't disagree that it would be nice if the idw would retain settings
with the idw. There is room for improvement.

Do I favour following the ACAD route. Not a chance. All those PCP
files and having to set up the page and getting an warning message
because the person who sent you the file has a different plotter and...

I'd like more features, but I'll take the short and sweet IV version.

Richard

SW_Convert wrote:
> AutoCAD Print Settings is one of the most advanced features in software applications today, but yet Inventor severely lacks that kind of functionality.
>
> Perhaps, I'm just missing something here?
>
> Question 1: Is it possible to save print settings with each .idw file? Currently, Inventor saves your last print setting and that is what it uses for all files; therefore, having to change your settings for each file if the format size is different or you just want to print an area.
>
> Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with Inventor?
>
> Dennis
Distinguished Contributor
ljapsey
Message 5 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 07:30 AM in reply to: sw_convert
Question 2: Can someone explain the logic behind the current print functionality of Inventor? They have done so well with AutoCAD, why go backwards (IMHO) with Inventor?

Well, I couldn't disagree "totally"..."more".....when the went the new route with Acad a few years back....it went totally in the toilet, saving the settings to each drawing......***Yuck***
Larry
Thanks, Larry
System Specs:
Dell Optiplex 745
Pentium D, 3.0 Ghz, 4 GB of Ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
Autodesk Inventor Suite 2011
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Graphics Driver - 6.14.11.9745
SpaceTraveler, Driver Verizon 6.7.13
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 07:32 AM in reply to: sw_convert
I agree with you. I have different size sheets set up in the drawing resources of my idw template. It would be really nice if I could also set up the printer sheet size setting with the sheet format. I guess the problem is identifying the printer.
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Ronnie_m
Message 7 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 07:45 AM in reply to: sw_convert
Download Kents Kwikprints then wonder how Autodesk couldn't have included it in Inventor from the start!!

Ronnie
ljapsey
Message 8 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 07:54 AM in reply to: sw_convert
Now there is a statement that I can support!

Kwikprints...."ROCKS"........What a great add-on!

Larry
Thanks, Larry
System Specs:
Dell Optiplex 745
Pentium D, 3.0 Ghz, 4 GB of Ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
Autodesk Inventor Suite 2011
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Graphics Driver - 6.14.11.9745
SpaceTraveler, Driver Verizon 6.7.13
Active Contributor
sw_convert
Message 9 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 08:10 AM in reply to: sw_convert
Well Larry, if your DWG sizes are all the same, I wouldn't expect you to favor that route. Since we used the gambit of paper formats, it becomes somewhat frustrating to change the paper size each time you have to print.

You might say we print ALOT, where I'm at. The prints are required each time a job is run. Often times we print 20-30 DWG's depending on the schedule. Using from A to E formats, makes it kind of hard to just print them. Batch Printing with A'CAD was nice. It was even nicer when you printed to two different print devices. (sorry, slightly sidetracked)
martiste
Message 10 of 12 (144 Views)

11-06-2006 08:56 AM in reply to: sw_convert
Me too I would like the paper size to be saved with the IDW file. I hate having to use add ons, after a few releases things tends to break down.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube