Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preview Problems

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Paul-Mason
471 Views, 8 Replies

Preview Problems

This is when using WINDOWS EXPLORE, when I go to the folder with my Inventor projects in it, I would always see a graphical representation of the IPT, IDW etc files. 

SO I've tried repair, reinstall of IV, update from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate but I've still got the problem.

Now I'm thinking that it is something to do with a registry setting but which one/s? Or there is a far simpler answer such as using the properties settings in Windows Explorer to correct this problem., or is it one of the DLL files linked to the displaying of these files but which one of the DLL files has the necessary settings to correct this problem?

I've attached two screen shots to better show the problem, as can be seen all other file types in the Project folder, jpg, pdf etc. show OK this just affects ALL Inventor files.

I prefer to see graphical representation of IV files in Windows Explorer as it is much easier to get the correct file so I'm desperate to get this problem solved.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given, and I'll give everthing suggest a try and get back with the resuls

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Paul-Mason

Try searching for thumbnails.

Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto

What do you have this set to in your Windows Explorer icon setting?

What version of Windows are you running?

VIEW.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 9
Paul-Mason
in reply to: Cadmanto

Set same as you have it "large Icons", I've always had it set at that.

Runing Windos 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 6 of 9

Curtis I've had a look a the links you gave. Had a look the only on that might apply is the last one.

But that is only if a previous version of IV had been installed, I'm running IV 2012, this was installed when I did a complete re-format of my HAD and re-installed Windows and all software so this is the only version that has been install. This only stated to happen after I installed SSP and the latest hotfixes, so it look as if either something in SP2 or the subsequent Hofixes has screwed something up, but will Autodesk admit to that no way.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 7 of 9
Paul-Mason

It would appear that, after reading some of the files these links I was give, this problem is linked to the version of IV that they were originally created with,that being IV2010, not being installed.

I find this rather strange as all was fine until the latest IV 2012 SP2 and later hotfixes were installed and also considering that I have not had IV2010 installed on this machine since re-installing Windows and IV 2012 to a new HD.

So I'll install IV2010 and see if that rectifies the problem as per the recommendations of one of the posting suggested and see if that corrects the problem, can only try and hope.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 8 of 9
JDMather

When I have had this happen in the past - I simply ignored and for some reason after a few days (of using Inventor with reboot of computer each day) everything goes back to normal.  I assume Windows or Inventor resets Registry key.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Paul-Mason
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks, JD It looks as if that is what I'm going to have to do and hope for. If not I'll just have to put up with it the preview are OK in the IV2012 open file, that's the one that counts.

I tried a install of 2010 as was suggested in one of the links, as this was the version that they were originally created in, that did two tings, black previews and screwed the IV 2012 license dat file, thank god I backed it up.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report