Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible memory leak in 2012 ultimate?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
warren.ramsdale
1653 Views, 8 Replies

Possible memory leak in 2012 ultimate?

Hi there,

is there a memory leak in 2012 Ultimate? I have one part open (300K size), about the size of you palm. if I open windows task manager and watch my memory usage, it creeps up as I rotate the part and never goes down again!!!

I'm using:

Dell Precision T3400

win7/64bit with 8gig memory

+ 3D Space explorer

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Not a memory leak, just the Rewind tool (see Steering Wheel) recording the camera position (pan, zoom & orbit).

F5 gets us the previous view, wheras the Rewind tool shows us the previous view in advance.

Regards

MattH

MattH
Product Design Collection 2024
Vault Pro 2024
Message 3 of 9

Hmmm, That may be so but if you rewind and forward wind the memory usage still increases! plus, I never use that function anyway. so give it 5 minutes of rotating a part and I'll run out of memory! that's a major bug in my eyes!

I've also just uninstalled and re-installed incase something's been corrupted but no joy :o(

Thanks for your input.

Message 4 of 9
SKinzel
in reply to: warren.ramsdale

When I changed from AutoCAD to Inventor 2010 (Windows XP 32 bit) I would have to reboot my computer a couple of times a day because I would eventually get memory errors even if Inventor was the only thing running.  It sure seemed like Inventor was grabbing memory and then not letting all of it go when it no longer needed it.  We were definately pushing that computer beyond its capacity with Inventor.

Because of this I was able to talk my boss into upgrading my computer and now I run Windows 7 64 bit with 8GB of RAM.  I haven't had any memory problems with Inventor Professional 2012.  I don't know if that is because of the 8GB, Windows 7 or Inventor.  Maybe you can get a new computer out of this?

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 5 of 9
warren.ramsdale
in reply to: SKinzel

Weirdly.... Following a second total un-install and re-install cycle the problem seems to have gone ( So far!).... But I'll keep an eye on it to see if anything in particular triggers it. Very odd!

Message 6 of 9
dodrain

For this reason i have disabled the REWIND tool in the Registry.  If you do a poll asking who uses the REWIND-tool the answer would be less than 10% of the designers do. I have asked Autodesk to provide a ON-OFF button for the rewind-tool in 2011, but they didn't answer and didn't put one in 2012, to bad.

Message 7 of 9
sgriffith
in reply to: dodrain

Where is the registry key for this?

Message 8 of 9
kladden

Is there a registry key to disabled the REWIND tool ?

Message 9 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: kladden

A quick search found this post http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-Memory-Issues/td-p/2743593/highlight/true/p...

Okay, I wasn't able to find anything to just turn off "Rewind".  But, if you're willing to use a bigger hammer, it can be turned off:

Under the registry go to:

HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersionX\S​ystem\Preferences\AliasNavTools

Create a new DWORD value and name it:

ANT Disable

Set its value to 1.

If one already exists just change its value from 0 to 1.

This will disable all of the new Nav Tools (ANT stands for "Alias Nav Tools").

Another workaround, to clear the rewind is to back up the rewind to the beginning. It then removes previous history and starts fresh.

Hope it helps.  Thanks,

- Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report