Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with flat pattern

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
jeregonn
766 Views, 32 Replies

Please help with flat pattern

I am having trouble finding a work around to get this part into a usable flat pattern. I received the part originally as a stp file. I am running autodesk Inventor 2010. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
mrattray
in reply to: jeregonn

Redraw it in Inventor using sheetmetal tools. It's a pretty simple part, you've probably already spent more time trying to unfold this then it would take to redraw it. Use contour roll.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 33
JDMather

Will the holes on the non-planar face be machined before or after bending?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 33
jeregonn
in reply to: JDMather

The holes will be located on the flat using out water-jet

Message 5 of 33
JDMather

You will have to use Contoured Roll and Unfold/Refold (and perhaps a bit more) to get this design.

Because you are using older release someone will have to demonstrate with images how to model the part if you can't figure out the sheet metal tools.

Becuase this is a compound bend Inventor will not flatten it unless it is modeled using Inventor Sheet Metal tools.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 33
jeregonn

I have been attempting to remodel it in inventor with no luck (honestly I do not even know where to start). I have never used the sheet metal tools in inventor to model a part before.

Message 7 of 33
JDMather

@jeregonn wrote:

... (honestly I do not even know where to start). I have never used the sheet metal tools in inventor to model a part before.

Was there a Sheet Metal Tutorial under Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skillbuilders in v2010 that covers Contoured Roll feature?  The Help screen might have additional information besides the Tutorials.

Give it a first try and then attach your attempt here.  Someone will walk you through to the finish.

EESignature

Message 8 of 33
jeregonn

I found the tutorial. I will work through that and then attempt my part and follow up with an update.

Message 9 of 33
jeregonn

I have been trying to get the contour roll command to work but i am having no luck. Does anyone have any advise on what surface i should be trying to create my sketch for the profile on? And how does someone know how far out to draw the axis line?
Message 10 of 33
mrattray

Attach what you have so far.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 33
jeregonn
in reply to: mrattray

This is what I currently have on my screen. I have tried using the bottom planar surface but I am not able to make a sketch on the edge I think I would need to go off. I am having the same problem with this piece though.

Message 12 of 33
jeregonn

Here is the bottom, I just don't see where to sketch my profile for the roll nor do I understand how someone knows how far are to draw the axis line.

Your help so far is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Message 13 of 33
mrattray

Forget the surfaces and the imported geometery.

This is the basic shape, if I remember correctly (with made up dimensions).

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Once you have this, we'll need to do an unfold and then locate and create those holes followed up with a refold.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 33
jeregonn

Ok I have gotten to where you are and I think I did everything correctly.

Message 15 of 33
mrattray

Your sketch is not fully defined.

Capture.JPG

What's this extra line for?

Capture2.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 16 of 33
jeregonn

Message 17 of 33
mrattray

This dimension doesn't really make sense, and to paraphrase from JD, is not a manufacturable or inspectable dimension. What's needed is a tangent constraint on that arc. I also question the .753, but that may be appropriate depending on the design intent.

I hope I'm not frustrtating you with what may seem like nitpicking, because it's important to get these kind of things right before we move on.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 33
jeregonn

The .753 is how I would inspect the height of that feature using a height gage however I did add the tangent constraint. I appreciate the nitpicking. That's what it'll take for me to learn how to do this correctly so the next time I get model like this I am not back on here taking up someone's time again.

Message 19 of 33
mrattray

That makes sense for the .753, what about the .835? How would you inspect that?

That's a good attitude to have.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 20 of 33
jeregonn

I constructed  an itersection point on the customers model to figure out how long those two legs were and thats what I used to base my sketch off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report