Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planetary/Cyclical Gear Systems in Inventor 2014

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
aktaylo2
2796 Views, 11 Replies

Planetary/Cyclical Gear Systems in Inventor 2014

I'll start by saying I just started using Inventor 2014 yesterday so I'm completely new to this.(Not my first time in modeling software though.) Yes, I've done all of the relevant tutorials I can find. Yes, I've done extensive searching online and have not found anyone who directly answers this question.

Anywho, I'm trying to create a few sets of planetary gears and I'm running up against a wall here.

Both sets, for simplicity, need 1:4 ratios which makes the planet and sun gears the same size. I was using 20 teeth for the planets/sun and 60 teeth for the ring which based on my understanding of the ratios, should work. My problem arises when I attempt to get all of these gears(sun, four planets, and the ring) to mesh and rotate.

I can't figure out how to make sets of more than two gears using the Spur Gear tool. When I make the other gears on their own and add them to the system, they don't inherently mesh and pass through eachother. Obviously I'm missing something here because I clearly need more than a two gear system.

As a side question, is there a method(Derived Parts, maybe?) through which I can add to a gear made with the Spur Gear tool to create a new part that will still function as a propper gear?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: aktaylo2

You need to add a Rotational Constraint.

The Gear Generator does this automatically between a set, but when you add to assembly you need to do it manually.

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
aktaylo2
in reply to: JDMather

Ah, that makes sense. I'll go give that a shot.

Message 4 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: aktaylo2

Also, if you have a sub-assembly within an assembly you will need to right click on the sub and select Flexible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
aktaylo2

I had to fiddle with the ratios and rotational directions for a long time, but I think I finally have it. Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 12
S01120420

JDMather,  I have seen your replies to a number of people trying to create planetary gear sets and I am in need of your assistance also.  I am trying to do the same thing.  At this point, I am wondering will Inventor allow you to create a set of gears at one time or do you need to create them one at a time.?  If you can create a set, where should I look for the settings and what settings am I looking for?  I am using Inventor 2016.

Thanks

Message 7 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: S01120420

Gears are created in pairs in Inventor.

You must start an assembly to have access to the Design>Gear Generator

Gear Generator.png

Ring Gear.png Do a Ring and Planet and a Sun and Planet.  You can then copy for additional Planets.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
S01120420

Thanks. I will try to go from here.

--
www.beingsaved.org
Message 9 of 12
S01120420

I am stuck.  I was able to create what looked like the exact ring and planet gears that I was looking for and it may be, but I am having trouble creating the planet and sun set of gears.  I am new to Inventor and so I am not sure of the settings I should be using.  I have included screen shots of the settings that I used.  Any suggestions that you may have, would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

For your second set of gears - Sun and Planet - you must un-check Internal so that you create two spur gears rather than one spur gear and a ring gear.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
S01120420

Thanks, I thought I had unchecked that box.  Anyway ,I believe that have the gears I need, except I have a ring and planet pair and I have two planet and sun pairs.  How do I separate the one pair and delete the second sun?  

Thanks. 

Message 12 of 12
S01120420

I was finally able to create a single planet gear by itself.  Earlier, I could create it, but it was not the same size as the other two.  This time I had two blanks which were supposed to become the two gears.  I did not constrain them together.  I put the information in for the another set of planet and ring gears, then I transferred the characteristics of planet gear to the blank using the cylindrical face and the start plane and the other button.  At this point, I change the setting on the other gear to no model.  Then I clicked ok on everything and now I just need to delete the ring blanks.  The pieces I am calling blanks were parts made separately that were extruded circles of the same size as the finished planet and ring gears.  

Thanks, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report