Inventor General

aktaylo2
Message 1 of 5 (1,198 Views)
Accepted Solution

Planetary/Cyclical Gear Systems in Inventor 2014

1198 Views, 4 Replies
04-19-2013 09:09 PM

I'll start by saying I just started using Inventor 2014 yesterday so I'm completely new to this.(Not my first time in modeling software though.) Yes, I've done all of the relevant tutorials I can find. Yes, I've done extensive searching online and have not found anyone who directly answers this question.

Anywho, I'm trying to create a few sets of planetary gears and I'm running up against a wall here.

Both sets, for simplicity, need 1:4 ratios which makes the planet and sun gears the same size. I was using 20 teeth for the planets/sun and 60 teeth for the ring which based on my understanding of the ratios, should work. My problem arises when I attempt to get all of these gears(sun, four planets, and the ring) to mesh and rotate.

I can't figure out how to make sets of more than two gears using the Spur Gear tool. When I make the other gears on their own and add them to the system, they don't inherently mesh and pass through eachother. Obviously I'm missing something here because I clearly need more than a two gear system.

As a side question, is there a method(Derived Parts, maybe?) through which I can add to a gear made with the Spur Gear tool to create a new part that will still function as a propper gear?

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 5 (1,170 Views)

Re: Planetary/Cyclical Gear Systems in Inventor 2014

04-20-2013 03:05 AM in reply to: aktaylo2

You need to add a Rotational Constraint.

The Gear Generator does this automatically between a set, but when you add to assembly you need to do it manually.

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
aktaylo2
Message 3 of 5 (1,159 Views)

04-20-2013 08:02 AM in reply to: JDMather

Ah, that makes sense. I'll go give that a shot.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 5 (1,148 Views)

04-20-2013 09:32 AM in reply to: aktaylo2

Also, if you have a sub-assembly within an assembly you will need to right click on the sub and select Flexible.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
aktaylo2
Message 5 of 5 (1,135 Views)

04-20-2013 02:05 PM in reply to: JDMather

I had to fiddle with the ratios and rotational directions for a long time, but I think I finally have it. Thanks for your help!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube