Inventor General

JCANU
Message 1 of 3 (141 Views)

Plane change question

141 Views, 2 Replies
01-24-2013 08:03 PM

I've created a part in an assembly based off the surface of a frame member (frame generator). The part created successfully on the XZ plane of the assembly in orientation to everything already in the assembly. When I open up the part independently, the part is now on the XY plane.

What I am trying to do is add to this part using multibody modelling as a part opened independently of the assembly (I originally created the part in the assembly so that the location of the base part was correct to the rest of the assembly). When I derive another part from the assembly into this new part ( as a reference for constructing the new one) the derived part shows up as per its orignal plane as a part and as oriented in the assembly, but not oriented to the new part I wish to create.

How do I create a part in the assembly so that when I open that part independently of the assembly its orientation is as per the assembly?

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 3 (139 Views)

Re: Plane change question

01-24-2013 08:22 PM in reply to: JCANU

Check if you are set to default create on XY. There is a down-stream benifit of XY sketching. Should any parts require export for CNC profile burning. Most NC software uses the XY and strips out the Z.

Capture.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
JCANU
Message 3 of 3 (96 Views)

Re: Plane change question

01-28-2013 02:59 PM in reply to: blair

Thanks for the reply.

This has fixed the orientation of the part, so that all are now are in the same plane as the assembly, but now another problem has come up.

The new part that I create in the assembly (constrained to geometry in the assembly) is not in the same location when I open that part by itself and derive a component of the assembly as a reference for further construction.

Is there a way to derive a part from the assembly (as a reference) into a part created in the assembly so that their positioning is the same as in the assembly or am I asking for something that doesn't exist?

To clarify, I create part A (a single part) and use it as a reference to create part B (Part B is many solid bodies that will populate into many parts in an assembly - multibody part)). I populate part A and B into an assembly. I then want to create part C (another multi body part) based on part A, but referencing part B. I create within the assembly the beginings of part C constrained to part B. I now want to open part C as a part by itself (I don't want all the clutter of part B) and derive part A into it as a reference for further construction.

Is this possible or is my approach to convoluted?

Cheers

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube