Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing scanned object in a drawn object? Similar to hand and a glove

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
587 Views, 7 Replies

Placing scanned object in a drawn object? Similar to hand and a glove

Hi All

How can I embed one object into another, once embedded into another object all I should see is a cut out of the shape that got embedded.

I have scanned an object, now I am drawing another object. The scanned object is the object which must be embedded. It like a hand and a glove effect.

Let me give you an example

I scan my thumb from my hand.

I then draw a square object.

I need to make a hole  in the object that is a customised fit for my thumb.

I would think I would need to make the inverse of the thumb and then make a cut out of that shape in my square object.

Any Idea how this can be achieved?

Thanks 

DJ

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

search inventor help for "derive"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
JoeBarnes4076

You could try this

1. 3D laser scan an object to get a faceted mesh.

2. Convert the mesh to a proper surface using a software like Geomagic or Rapidform and output to an ACIS file.  I think there is a labs project that may do this as well.

Use ACIS .sat files as the neutral format to import into Inventor. (the final sculpt feature works 10-15 times faster using geometry imported from an ACIS file as opposed to an IGES)  Don't ask me why.  STEP files cannot be imported directly into an exiting model file.

3. Create the block model in inventor using standard tools.

4. While active in the block model goto Manage >> Import.  You may have to play with your import options. 

5. You may have to move the imported suface body using the move body command.  The imported surface's origin is aligned to the origin or the model.

6. Use the scuplt fetaure to remove material.  Intersect considerations have to made.

Joe

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JoeBarnes4076

I will give that a go.

I have managed to open the stp file in inventor

I have follwed the following example for derived parts

ftp://ftp.autodesk.com/WebPub/inventor/training/skill_builder-derived_parts2.pdf

As long as both parts are drawn I can get the mold effect on the other part, but I am having issues with the scanned parts.

I have attached a copy of the assembley as reference if I am doing somthing wrong.

Message 5 of 8
JoeBarnes4076

Inventor cannot not do a whole lot with the imported mesh feature in the facee.ipt file.

The FemaleFace_STL file needs to be converted into an acceptable surface before Inventor can do anything with it.

We would use Rapidform to create a surface from the STL mesh file.

There is a mesh enabler on the inventor apps store that may help.

Joe

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I got the STL enabler , maybe I could try version 2014?

If not would you recommend best option would be to follow the steps to stl to the other formate

Message 7 of 8
JoeBarnes4076

The only way I know for sure is to convert the mesh to a proper surface using a software like Geomagic or Rapidform and output to an ACIS file. 

The sat file can be imported and used with the skulpt feature to add or remove material.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Sorry for delay

I will give that a go..

Are these conversion tools free?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report