Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placement of a part in an assembly

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Karol-Or
585 Views, 8 Replies

Placement of a part in an assembly

When i create a part in an assembly, i select a plane or face with the cursor, but then i select again a plane for the sketch.

Why this double selection, and what does the first selection do, if the part is actually sketched on the plane i selected in the second time

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CCarreiras
in reply to: Karol-Or

Hi!

The first selection create a constrain (Flush) between the two parts. This  ensure the two parts are connected by these faces. BUT... you can decide to start to model the part from other plane AND, you can always edit or delete the first flush, or add another constrains (i use a lot to reposition the axis, and to center the part) even before the first sketch! It's nice to be able to do this!!

Never think why the Origin axis are most of times not centered from the own solid when you create a part in the assembly enviroment? Now you have the tip, and you can have all the parts well centered to create better constrained sketches.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 9

Hi Karol-Or,

If you go to the Tools tab > Application Options button > Part tab, and look for the Sketch on new part creation option, and set it to automatically use one of the sketch planes (rather than No New Sketch), I think you'll see the behavior you're looking for.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 9
Karol-Or
in reply to: CCarreiras

I don't see the constraints you are talking about.

Attached is a simple assembly, no constarints.

Message 5 of 9
Karol-Or

I think i solved the problem.

The first selection determines the XY plane of the new part.

Attached is the same assembly, but with other parts.

See that the XY plane, in the Origin folders, of parts 18 and 20, is different, it aligns with different planes in the Origin folder of the assembly.

My only question, in this situation, and if it is true what i found, is what's the difference if the Constrain sketch plain to slected face or plane check box is selected, since the behaviour looks the same

Message 6 of 9
CCarreiras

Hi!

Maybe i misunderstand What you meant. You talked about create, but the title of the post is place. It's diferent things though.

What i meant was:

1 - When you create a part in assembly, you select a face. (1)

2 - The part exist now in the browser, but if you want to create the first sketch, you have to pick the plane again (same or another) (2)

3 -If you want to complete positioning the part in the assembly (after doing the first sketch), you can exit the edit mode and add constrains to the part (basically its only the origin folder: planes and axis in that time). You already have one... the flush (3), that was created when you picked the first plane when you created the part in step (1).

solution.pngDid you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 7 of 9
CCarreiras

I don't understand your question...

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 8 of 9
Karol-Or
in reply to: CCarreiras

I don't have a flush constarint when creating a new part, i think i found the purpose, it is to align the XY plane of the new part, see my new message

Message 9 of 9
jtylerbc

@Karol-Or wrote:

I don't have a flush constarint when creating a new part, i think i found the purpose, it is to align the XY plane of the new part, see my new message

In the dialog box for Create In-Place Component, there is a checkbox for "Constrain sketch plane to selected face or plane."  If this is checked, you get the Flush constraint.  If not, you don't.

If the part you are creating is the first part in the assembly, then the checkbox isn't present, but it grounds the part instead of adding a constraint..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report